Mileage numbers for old Camry

My son recently bought a '96 Camry wagon with auto tranny and 4 cyl engine (which I mention because I have no idea if it was offered with a 6). He's a new driver and a teenager, so he's being obstinate about how the gas gauge should be totally accurate, and based on his initial gas mileage calculations, he thinks he's getting 17 mpg. Unless the car's broken, that's ridiculous. Any day now, he'll decide to actually start writing down how many gallons he puts in, and we'll get a more accurate measurement. But, I need something to compare it to. Where can I find the manufacturer's mpg estimates for an older car like this?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Thank you!

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

My '92 Corolla Wagon (lighter and a smaller engine) gets between 26 and 40 mpg based on my driving style.

I would guess 25 or 26 would be good for the Camry.

Isn't it wonderful how kids know everything...

Reply to
Scott in Florida

It is truly amazing how smart they are, and how quickly they can pull their amazing theories out of their asses. :-)

My son's taking advanced placement courses in everything, especially calculus - he's in the super deluxe AP course. But then, he says "I think it's about 20 miles from home to my job. Doesn't that sound right?" I said "Well, it takes you a total of about 12 minutes, some of which is on the highway, and some local driving to and from the highway. If it was 20 miles, you'd be arrested by now."

Response: "Dad, you just don't get it".

Yah. OK.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

ROFLMAO

That's it....ya just don't get it Dad.....

LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Don't feel like the lone ranger, Joe. My daughter, a capital B Brain (she's now a professor at a major university) had AP classes, gifted program classes from the time she was 8. But she still has a warped time sense. When we visit her city, and go to a concert downtown with her, she always thinks the concert hall is "ten minutes" from her home. But on a good night with less traffic, it's about fifteen minutes, and parking is another ten minutes minimum. If we weren't there to hustle her out of the house early, we'd always arrive so late we'd have to be seated at the intermission! Although her 'street smarts' have improved greatly, there was a time she said she had to go to the bank....on a Sunday. This was not to visit the ATM, but to do real banking business, and she was mildly shocked that banks weren't open on Sunday. So you've got lots of company with your son.

Reply to
mack

They need mental floss.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Reminds me of a friends daughter, who was ranked 12th in a class of about

500, with AP calculus, AP physics, AP everything else under her belt, 760 SAT. During college night, the representative from the local community college announced that students who ranked in the top 10% of their class could attend the community college for free, and the daughter was disappointed because she thought she didn't qualify. kinda scary!
Reply to
Ray O

I have 1995 camry LE sedan with 217 000 miles on the odometer. It makes almost 30 miles on one gallon.

The easiest way to calculate mileage is to fuel at the same station, on the same distributor and get as much fuel as it fits to the first click of the fuel gun. Then you reset the trip odometer and drive. After about 300 miles you get to the same fuel station, same distributor and do the fueling the same way. The amount of fuel you get is exactly how much the engine used up during the trip miles. Of course where and how you drive will influence the mileage.

Reply to
Pszemol

The '95 wagon we bought isn't on the road yet, but our '95 sedan, with the same four and automatic, gets an amazing 27-34 mpg *average*, in 2/3 highway driving, with a light right foot. I'm hoping the wagon will get no worse than 2 mpg less. Keep in mind, though, that the bigger the car a small engine has to pull, the bigger the change in economy when driven gently or hard. I wouldn't expect a kid to get more than 24 mpg, but 17 means there is either something wrong with the fuel system, or you need to put a driving monitor in there with him to stop him from racing.

Reply to
mj

My '97 (4 cylinder, automatic, 150,000 miles) gets 32 mpg with frightening regularity, and has since the day I bought it. That's for about 2/3 highway miles and a reasonably light foot, just like the other respondent.

It's funny, I was suspicious when I first got the car, as the low fuel light ALWAYS came on with 445 miles on the trip odometer, like it was connected to that rather than the gas gauge float.

Reply to
Scott Schuckert

That is why he is only getting about 17 mpg. Takes lots of gas to go close to 100 mph if you allow for a stop or two along the way. My 91 Camry was giving about 26 mpg . It had 4 cyl and an automatic. He could also be pushing the gas to the floor every time he starts off.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

He's being pretty mild with the gas, actually. Until he started buying gas, he didn't pay much attention to my grumbling about the cost. Suddenly, it's like he's mini-me: "Dad....what's with this deal? 1/3 of my paycheck's going into the gas tank!"

Yep. He's big now. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

As the father of a 24 year old mega-brain who will receive her MD in a few months, this is the funniest thread I've waded through in at least a decade. This one has no problem with time and distance calculations, or even going through all the digital gymnastics required to figure metric into miles, remembering to convert to our former "imperial" gallon for "Canadian MPG" then to the much smaller "US" gallon - all so we can compare our average MPG to the numbers south of the 49th.

After all this, she still has a hard time relating the math to her right foot and the relationship between throttle opening and fuel economy. Oh well...when she's a doctor driving her own fuel sucking doctor's wheels, her RPM and throttle-opening demands on my V6 Camry will be a thing of the past and the car and I will be back on a level and measureable playing field.

Great posts. Thanks.

Reply to
RACEGUY