New car maintanance and 200 mile oil change (was new Yaris)

I have occasionally heard "change your oil and filter at 200-500 miles because that's when all of the metal particles shaved off of new parts collect in the oil".

Who thinks this is a good idea?

Reply to
Pete Moss

This is a great idea for a car from the 60s or maybe 70s. Or maybe when you get a rebuilt engine.

For a car from this century, however, you don't need to.

Read your owner's manual. It will tell you the break-in procedure for the engine.

It will also tell you when to change the oil. Change it when they say to. Not more often. Not less often, unless you use a synthetic specifically designed for longer oil changes like Mobil 1's 15,000 mile synthetic. I would also go with Mobil 1 synthetic. Use only the weight (like 5W-30) that they suggest.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Pete: Drive the vehicle normally. Change the oil and filter at three thousand miles. I would not begin to use a synthetic lubricant until ten thousand miles. You definitely want the components of the motor (piston rings, pistons, ect.) to seat in. Synthetic oil will increase the amount of time and even may not allow parts the required break in. Synthetic lubricants are very good, but it's the frequency of change of the engine lubricant that will extend engine life no matter what type lubricant. Always change the filter as well. Check the Toyota manual for any special procedures during break in and you should enjoy the vehicle for many, many miles. IMHO. Good luck.

Reply to
user

The Corvette and a number of other cars come with Mobil 1. What you are saying is nonsense. There is no need to wait until you start using a good synthetic.

But there is no advantage to changing your oil more often than recommended.

Mobil 1 makes a lubricant that you only need to change every 15,000 mi. More often than that, and you are wasting your money.

Reply to
Jeff

The link below is the used oil analysis for our 2004 Lexus RX330 with Mobil 1 5W30 extended performance (EP) and a Mobil 1 EP oil filter. The oil had 6,600 miles on it and the TBN was shot. There is no way the oil would have made 15,000 miles. I had a previous interval of

8,600 miles (all highway on a cross-country trip) and it was even worse, which is why I went back 6,600 miles this run.

Also, since Mobil 1 has reportedly moved from a Group IV to a Group III oil (but still charging the same amount -- ala Castrol Syntec back in the 1990s), it is time to move on to another product.

So, the next change is Pennzoil Platinum, 5W30. We will see how it does in our RX.

Reply to
Anonymous

If you notice, according the people who made the report, the Toyota engine tends to deplete the TBN. That's not Mobil's fault.

I also like the comment about ExxonMobil's huge profits. I doubt they came mostly from Mobil1.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I'd rather waste a couple hundred bucks over the life of a car, than waste a $4,000 engine...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Back in the 'old days', I used to change the oil on a new car after

1,500, and then again at 3,000, and then settle into a 3-4,000 mile change cycle.

Two engines over 250,000 miles, and one that was traded at 120,000.

Used Castrol GTX, and mixed in a quart of Marvel Mystery oil. I still do this on my 'beaters'.

On my Scion with 12,000, I changed to Castrol Syntec. I don't know what was in it before.

I set the 'reminder' to 4,500. This should suffice.

Biggest thing is, keep an eye on your oil. Make sure the case is full, and the oil isn't black. When the oil turns black, get rid of it.

Enjoy your car!

Reply to
Hachiroku