Noise in 1998 Toyota Corolla

I know these issues are hard to diagnose over the Internet, but I am looking for ideas before I goto a mechanic.

I startup my car, start driving, and my car makes this vibrating noise when accelerating. It sounds like metal vibrating. I almost want to say sort of like a chainsaw, but that's probably wrong. Anyway, the sound is more pronounced up hills. It seems to go away after awhile. I'm guessing when my car shifts into a different gear. To me, it sounds like a heat shield from other experiences I've had. I've never had a heat shield problem with this car. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being the least severe, and 10 being the most severe, this problem feels like a 3 or 4 to me. I become cautious when I hear new sounds.

As far as the car, in the 6 years I've had it, it's been mostly used for commuting to and from the mountains on the weekends. Little travel on dirt roads. Mostly state routes. It went on a cross-country trip last autumn. Since then it mostly remains parked. The occasional hour car ride now and then.

Obviously, it's thirteen year old car and it's probably just showing it's old age. I keep up on oil changes and maintenance. When I hear something, I get after it. I had new brakes installed after the aforementioned trip due to disconcerting noise I was hearing. It had been a few years since new brakes.

Any ideas based off this description? What am I roughly looking at as far as cost?

Furthermore, I am in Lynnwood, Washington (next to Everett). Does anyone have recommendations for Toyota mechanics in this area? I'm looking for competence and someone who won't screw me over. My preference is not a dealership. Recommendations of mechanics to avoid would also be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Reply to
Pat Smith

Noise, vibration, and harshness are difficult to diagnose without experiencing them first hand. That said, from your description, I'd guess that a heat shield attachment point has come loose. There are several heat shields, give them a tug to see if there is any play. If there is play, then you can try using baling wire to pull it tight.

I'm not sure about Lynwood, but I know of a Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician who works at a dealership a little southeast of Tacoma.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray's back!

Where ya been?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Just checking in every so often.

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
Pat Smith

If *I* lived in a complex, I would NOT like the parking lot turned into PARTS R US and that is exactly what happens in second-rate developments.

Reply to
Sharx3335