OH Boy! Don't have to look over my shoulder!

Guess the $150 tune up on the Supra was worth it. NOX dropped from 3.18 (limit is 3.10) last year's test to 2.38 this year. Last year the initial run was 3.34, second run terminated at 3.18. This year he had to run the test twice, but it passed!

Everything else was *WELL* within spec. And, since it's an '88, this is the final Emissions test it will have to face!

Too bad. I actually used the Inspection to locate problems. Where else can you get a performance readout for $29?!?!?!?!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Congratulations...

Would they run the test even if it were older than required?

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Nope. They're getting rid of the equipment ('dyno', etc). A friend of mine who does inspections says they're blowing too many engines trying to get them to pass! So, all they will do, starting in January, is plug the OBD-II connector in and read the ECU. If you don't have OBD-II there's nothing they can do to measure the emissions, so anything older than '96 (even though my '95 Tercel had OBD-II) will get Safety only.

I'll never have to worry about my "Classics" passing emissions again. I used to drive with the "Black R" (emissions rejection) stickers until they expired. Actually, you had 60 days. Nobody bothers you with a black R, so if I got one in February, I would run it until the end of the year of the 'expiration'. Like my Celica. Tested in July, 2004, failed. Black R, with

2005 on it. So, in December 2005, I'd get inspected again. Another black R? December 2006!

Of course, if they *CHECK*, they can impound the car! ($250? Have it!)

Reply to
Hachiroku

I took my father in law's car in. Seemed like a LOT of testing for 30 bucks.

Of course being 94, he had let it expire....LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida