OT: How did it get here???

Astronomers have spotted what is the most powerful supernova discovered thus far. It is estimated that the supernova is 240 million light-years from Earth.

What I can't understand is, how did the light get here from that far away, if the universe is less than 10,000 years old?!?

Digging into this further, it seems to be nigh-well impossible to find an astonomer who does not believe that the universe is BILLIONS of years old!

Are all these astronomers wrong? Are they all evil? Will they all be punished on judgement day?

Please, good Christians, help answer these questions!

Reply to
dizzy

Let see...God created Adam and Eve as people who were in their late teens/early twenties. I think He wouldn't have a problem doing that with stars and other things as well.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

What is your point? The universe is far older than 10 k years old. What is the connection to Christians?

Reply to
dbu.,

He was needling a certain ng-er.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

When God created his Universe, he created the light so that it looks like it was created 13,000,000,000 years ago so that we can take wonder in his works.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

What is a ng-e? engineer?

Reply to
Jeff

He's needling all the newsgroupers that happen to believe the Bible. Most of which can't see his messages or ignore them because they all contain the same diatribe. Or in Dizziot's case, drivel.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

LOL

Reply to
dizzy

Hmm... According to the below article:

"The most widely accepted view among current anthropologists is that Homo sapiens originated in the African savanna around 200,000 BP (Before Present)"

Are most anthropologists evil? Will they be punished on judgement day?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Reply to
dizzy

How do THEY know Homo Sapiens is 200,000 years old? How does anyone know how old the universe is? Why do acknowledged experts change their agreed upon truths all the time? Since when did Wikipedia become a source of truth? For all I know you may be the one who wrote that article.

Reply to
badgolferman

The answers to these questions are available at the American Museum of Natural History in NYC. You can also try their web site

Another option is to read the actual reference in the Wikipedia article. Finally, read Stephen Hawkings books.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I don't know what your point is here. AFAIK, nowhere in the Bible does it specify an age of the universe. I do know there have been efforts to fix a date, most notably those of Bishop Usher, but there is absolutely no requirement to accept his conjecture and still be a Christian.

I consider myself a Christian, and I also have a degree in geology: I feel comfortable that I have a better grasp on the evidence for the accepted age of the earth than most posters to this newsgroup. I'm perfectly happy accepting the earth as being 4.6 billion years old and still accepting that there is a creator.

On second thought perhaps I do see your point: you're trying to paint Christians as ignorant. Why must you attack the beliefs of a religion? Or, more to the point, do you have plans for a regular series where you needle believers in the other major faiths as well?

Or is it just Christians you hate?

Reply to
Sean Elkins

Bingo!

Reply to
badgolferman

All this back and forth about the age of the world, or minkind, is about at productive as trying to determine the number of angels who can sit or stand on the head of a pin...... and reminds me of the old story of the radio talk show, where an eminent scientist had just mentioned that the earth would die and grow cold at a certain time. There was a phone call from a listener, an elderly lady, who asked "When you guest talked about the end of the world , did he say it would happen in a hundred Million years, or a hundred Billion years?" The host relayed the question to t he guest, who replied "I said 100 Billion years ...with a B." The old lady sighed and said "OH, Thank God!!!!":

Reply to
mack

See, I knew that there were some Christians out there who actually have a brain.

There are some in this very group who think that you cannot be a Christian if you accept things like evolution and the Earth being billions of years old. There are some who will call you "the son of the devil" if you doubt creationism.

There are some, believe it or not, who HONESTLY BELIEVE that mankind shared the planet with living dinosaurs, within the last 10,000 years!

Amazing, huh?

Reply to
dizzy

Ironically, it is those who claim to be Christians, who are the most hateful people. Not to mention selfish and, often, downright evil.

Ask some of these "Christians" in here if they care one iota about innocent Muslims being slaughtered in Iraq.

Reply to
dizzy

Actually, this type of hatred seems to be shared by many faiths for people of other faiths.

A lot of Muslims seem to hate Christians and Jews, there are a lot of religious Jews who Muslims, and a lot of Christians who Muslims and Christians.

IMHO, this is not the way God would want it.

Or vice versa.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I meant to say A lot of Muslims seem to hate Christians and Jews, there are a lot of religious Jews who hate Muslims, and a lot of Christians who hate Muslims and Christians.

Unfortunately, a more accurate statement is probably, "A lot of Muslims seem to hate Christians, Jews and Muslims of other branches of Islam, there are a lot of religious Jews who hate Muslims and Christians, and a lot of Christians who hate Muslims and Jews."

And more succintly, a people seem to hate people not like them.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Edit this by inserting "some of" in between "is" and "those" in your first sentence, and *then* I think you have an accurate statement.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

No doubt. Generally, it's the religious fundamentalists that are causing the problems. Ironically, it seems that the more of a fundie a person is, the more of an evil bastard they are.

I sure you're right about that.

Reply to
dizzy