{OT} my senator's response to my letter

The other one hasn't even bothered responding. I guess he already knows I will never vote for him again.

---------------------------

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns over current immigration issues.

An estimated 11 million unauthorized persons reside in the United States; this population is estimated to increase by 500,000 annually. Each year, about 1 million people are apprehended trying to enter the United States illegally. Although most of these people enter the United States for economic opportunities, family reunification, or to avoid civil strife, some may have ill intentions.

I believe the solution to our illegal immigration situation should be a three-pronged effort. The first task is to gain control of our borders, particularly our southern border. Second, we must find a way to absorb into our society those immigrants who have lived and worked in the United States for many years and have put down roots here. For these people, there should be an eventual path to citizenship. Third, we must enforce immigration laws that are already in place, such as punishing corporations who knowingly hire illegal immigrants. Additionally, we must engage the Mexican government and hold it accountable for its responsibilities regarding illegal immigration.

My staff and I appreciate your correspondence on this important issue. Please do not hesitate to contact us in the future.

Sincerely,

Jim Webb

United States Senator from Virginia

Reply to
badgolferman

I would write Feinstein & Boxer but they'd be like your other one and not reply.

I thought we went thru this same exercise 20 or so years ago with Teddy K leading then too to give amnesty. This bill is amnesty no matter what they say.

The last time I think it was Reagan that got suckered just as Bush is now.

Pass a bill AND seal the borders asshole tight - then make all the illegals apply if they want to stay. And be damned selective. In the meantime, they are illegally here and should be expected to get the treatment called for.

Also should revisit this administrative decision to grant instant citizenship to anyone that happens to be born here, regardless of parents status. Don't give the child and parents automatic citizenship cause the mother was able to hold it in for 1 more minute to jump the border.

Hash SOB ain't I? I am damned tired of this "Press 1 for English" crap. You live here, you are supposed to speak the language. Required to be a citizen. Do they have "Press 2 for Gringo Lingo" in Mexico? Yeap right.

We do have a few of the illegals here growing dope and killing cops in California, so I also speak from frustration. Ron in Ca

Reply to
ron

"ron" wrote in news:4kr5i.2894$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net:

He did? Then why did he sponsor that 1965 bill that replaced the "bracero" program, and which made it impossible for Mexicans to go home again?

Teddy is largely the cause of swelling illegal immigrants these days.

Reply to
Tegger

Teg, You talking about Reagan? He wasn't gov of Ca to 67 or so - MoonBeam's Dad was Gov in early-late sixties

There was a bracero program in the early 50's where workers came to our area and picked pears for us (I remember it cause I was getting 45 cents/hr to drive tractor and load the lugs they got a quarter each for picking - they picked about 100 boxes/day) Anyhow they were as I recall some of the first green cards.

z They did go home after 6 month stay as far as I know.

Ron

Reply to
ron

At every MacDonald's I go to, I make sure I take down the name of the owner in order that I may complain to him about his Mexican workers speaking Spanish in front of me. I find it very offensive...especially since English is our states official language.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

"ron" wrote in news:e5s5i.2564$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net:

No, not Reagan. Teddy Kennedy. It was a federal thing.

That was the bracero program.

There was also considerable illegal immigration outside bracero, which caused much criticism about bracero being ineffective.

Teddy's bill (the Immigration Act of 1965) discontinued bracero, and made it a requirement that Mexicans had to apply for visas like other foreigners. Visas for Mexicans were numerically limited. Visas were based primarily on family unification, and on labor skills.

The labor skills thing made it just about impossible for Mexicans to come over legally, since almost none of them had much past farmwork abilities.

Prior to 1965, Mexican immigrants not covered by bracero were considered "returnable" by immigration authorities. Even though they were technically illegal, little effort was made to stop traffic either way, so there was a constant inflow and outflow of Mexican immigrants, resulting an a more-or-less stable Mexican population in the US.

Teddy's visa system was accompanied by a crackdown on undocumented immigrants. This meant that unlike in the past, once you made it over, there was no point in going home again, since next time you might get caught and sent back home. That meant the population ALWAYS increased, hence the crisis today.

Ronald Reagan did sign a bill in 1986 that tightened border security, raising the stakes for Mexicans trying to cross, and making ever more certain that they would never, ever try to go back home again.

Reply to
Tegger

You're at McDonald's often enough for that to be a major problem in your life?

Reply to
Truckdude

Pardon me but I have to say something in defense of Bush.

I hate doing so but when the news media publishes crap, I have to call them on it even if it defends the Bush record.

Major media is quoting a poor record for Bush on border defense. They claim that fewer illegal's are being captured at the border and sent back than under the Clinton administration. I think they said about 30% reduction per year for a several years.

Sounds pretty bad but if you build a big fence to stop people from getting over the border there is no one to catch. So this attach on Bush is pure BS.

Too bad I have to defend his record on this.

Reply to
Art

innews:4kr5i.2894$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net:

Sure you blame Teddy and a 40 year old bill. It's not like any of our great leaders, Republican or Democrat since then have done anything to try to solve the problem. Nobody ever thought it was much of a problem 40 years ago. Blame the current bunch we have had for the last

20 years when it has become a real problem. Too bad the Republicans were unwilling to do something about it when they controlled congress and the white house.
Reply to
ToMh

But had it not been for teddy and his bill would we have such an influx today?

How about the democrats? Why didn't they do something? Seems they had at least as much time as the repubs.

Reply to
dbu.,

How many years does he consider for "those who have lived and worked in the United States for many years and have put down roots here" ? I hate to be a bad ass with these people, but why should they get a path to citizenship before people who try to go through the legal way. I'd also like any new immigration bill to remove the automatic citizenship for immigrants who are born here. That's just ridiculous, and is a major reason a lot of these people come here illegally, just to have a baby, and then it is next to impossible to deport them.

Reply to
ToMh

So, that was 40 years ago. Times change, so should laws.

That's what I said. I'm blaming both parties, but it's the Republicans that have made this more of an issue, yet have not done anything about it. Why? Easy, the businesses in their states don't want them to. They like their cheap labor. That's the real reason, cheap labor and influence of these businesses on the politicians. It has nothing to do with a bill made 40 years ago.

Reply to
ToMh

Yah right

Reply to
dbu.,

Oh Bull Shit!

Illegal's are Illegal's.

Throw them the hell out....

Seal the borders.

No new laws needed....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Ya right what? If that's all you can muster up, why do you feel you need to grace us with your babble? You don't believe the real reason is cheap labor, and the businesses reliance on that labor as the real reason that we don't have immigration laws that are enforced? It's not the only reason, but it is the main reason.

Reply to
ToMh

They do that , then the employers complain to their Senators, and the Senators stop it.

Reply to
ToMh

We need to keep the pressure up on these Senate Dogs (of BOTH parties).

Time to fire all the bass turds.....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

ToMh wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Not just with a bill made 40 years ago, no, but with the other half- dozen bills (from both parties) that cranked down on the thumbscrews after 1965.

Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease, you know.

Have you people ever thought of simply repealing all those idiotic immigration laws and allowing the Mexicans to risk going back home again?

Think about it: Who REALLY wants to leave home?

The longer restrictions remain in place, the more the Southern US will be seen by Mexicans as a permanent destination. Is that what you want? That's what you'll get!

Reply to
Tegger

Scott in Florida wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Allow them to go home again. Repeal immigration laws. Make it like it was prior to 1965.

Reply to
Tegger

Get real, these people are all over not just in the south and Ca. and not just Mexicans. Muslims, they want to control our way of life. Get your head out of the sand.

Reply to
dbu.,