Ping Ray O and Hachiroku -- need some Supra assistance

I'm trying to increase the performance on my 94 Supra Turbo (my Viper Killer) so I'm consulting your mechanical sagacity. I believe it has sufficient power now while staying street legal. I've already put it on a diet before and would like to lose some more to improve all areas of its performance.

Here's what I've already done:

1) Replaced the aluminium hood with the TRD hood. 2) Exchanged the leather seats with the cloth seats from the NA car. 3) Changed the factory 3-in-1 head unit with a single DIN Toyota CD player. 4) Removed the rear spoiler, rear floor mats, rear hatch cover, and fog light bulbs with the relays. 5) Switched to lighter wheels and ultra light splined lug nuts. 6) I had custom made forged titanium upper and lower wishbones for the suspension. 7) Switched the steering wheel and air bag from the 98 model since it was smaller.

I don't want to sacrifice its Toyota reliability, street comfort, or anything like that so the carpet and insulations stay. No lexan glass for me either. The rear seats have to stay too. Despite the performance upgrades, the car lost almost 200 lbs. I'd like another

100 lbs shaved from it. Any suggestions?

I'm contemplating on removing both air bags and switching to the HKS titanium exhaust.

Reply to
Viperkiller

So you know, I was supposed to make sure that all of the cars conformed to the manufacturer's specs and were not modified. The son of a very high ranking executive attended school in Boston area just before I was assigned to that office, and the son was assigned Supras to drive. The people in the office used to tell stories how 2 or 3 of his cars were stolen, and the rest were turned in very highly modified, with turbos (before turbos were a factory option), intercoolers, etc. It would take the tech guys in the office several days to ferret out the modifications and return the car to factory specs so it could be sold.

The air bags are not that heavy, probably around 2 or 3 pounds each, plus another 2 or 3 pounds for the sensors and ECU so I would lose insulation before air bags.

Insulation is probably the lion's share of the extra weight in the car.

How about:

Remove the rear wiper, motor, associated wiring harnesses, and rear washer bottle and pump (if it doesn't share the washer bottle and pump with the front wipers) Remove the struts for the hood and rear hatch and use an adjustable prop Remove the power door lock actuators Remove the rear hatch release cable and lever Remove the cruise control actuator Remove the spare tire, jack, and tools and get a couple of cans of Fix-A-Flat and AAA membership Replace the front seats with Recaro-type seats If it has a sunroof, remove the motor and cables and leave the panel permanently closed Remove passenger assist grips If the spare tire has a board over the tire, remove it and just lay carpet across the opening

Reply to
Ray O

I share your perspective on keeping the car to factory specs to a certain degree. That is why I spent money to use the factory seats from the NA cars and headunit to ensure Toyota reliability.

I like to keep things quiet (sensitive ears) so the insulation would have to stay. As a matter of fact, I added insulation to quell down the noise from the rear tires. Seems counterproductive to losing weight, I know.

I need the wiper but the washer motor and bottle can go. If it shares it with the front, the hoses can go.

The cruise would have to stay. I use it quite frequently.

No targa so this one's already taken care of.

You have some valid points there. I'll mull it over with my mechanics...I mean technicians. Thank you for your input.

Reply to
Viperkiller

Good luck with the project!

Reply to
Ray O

How about just turning up the boost and a down pipe. I did that with my 94 I dynoed 410rwhp.

Reply to
Dr. Richard L. Rodgers II

That's what I was thinking...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Thanks. I'll make sure to post the results.

Reply to
Viperkiller

My car has dynoed at 660hp already. When I meant that I wanted to increase the performance of the car, I meant to increase acceleration, braking, and handling. There's also the added benefit of reduced tire wear and increased fuel economy, for those that need more justification.

Reply to
Viperkiller

I'm not worried about fuel economy unless it dips to something horrible like 15mpg or thereabouts.

I'm 5'10" 165-170lbs. I suppose I could stop lifting weights to reduce muscle mass.

Reply to
Viperkiller