Please help!! Corolla' 01 gas consumption HELP!

Corolla 01 is averaging 10 miles/gallon of gasoline. Replaced the dirty air filter, but still 11miles/gallon now. Odometer reads 52110 miles. I'm desperate, i can try anything including putting dead mice in the gas tank like someone suggested provided that will resolve the problem. Anyone with a suggestion? Please HELP!

Reply to
boubi

If yo were _really_ getting 10 mpg, you should smell the gas and experience noticiable performance problems. Have you made sure that somebody is not routinely stealing gas from your car?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

There is no gas smell at all but yes the performance has decreased a bit.

Reply to
boubi

How about when you fill the tank? Is there a gas smell then?

No matter how bad my cars have gotten, I have never been as low as 10MPG! I think perhaps someone is stealing your gas!

Reply to
Hachiroku

You don't have a check engine light? With mileage that bad, something has to be seriously wrong. And something that wrong should turn on the check engine light.

Random thoughts -

- Do you have a transmission prolem? If you are driving a manual, is it possible your clutch is slipping? If an automatic, is it shifting properly? How's your fluid look?

- Is it possible you have brakes that are dragging? If so, you should be able to tell after a short drive. If present, a dragging brake should generate a lot of heat and possibly a real stink.

- Any chance you have a gas line, or fuel tank leak?

- A plugged exhaust system (plugged converter or muffler or a collasped exhaust pipe) can up the back pressure and wreck fuel economy - except I think this should turn on the check engine light.

- You probably should take it to a professional with the correct equipment.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

10 Toyotas, one Volvo, one (UGH!) VW and a Honda. Oh, yeah! One Nova SS, bought right before the prices went from 50 cents to 75 cents a gallon!
Reply to
Hachiroku

That Toyota may still be covered under warrenty. Have your dealer check it out. Alot of emmission parts are covered 8 years 80000 miles. In Cal. emmission parts are covered even longer. Scott

Reply to
zonie

Or a new Dodge Ram 1500 pickup with a HEMI engine. 9 MPG in town according to EPA.

Reply to
Philip

Cripes, I wasn't getting a helluva lot more'n that with a stupendously heavy Dodge 4WD Dakota half-ton with a 5.2 litre V-8 in it...God, how that thing loved gasoline

Reply to
Gord Beaman