Buying a used Toyota

I'm in the market for a used Toyota and was wondering what is generally considered to be the best model for reliability and durability (I want to drive it til the wheels fall off).

Thanks!

snipped-for-privacy@realcredits.com

Reply to
sherly.batarse

If it has "Toyota" on it, you're good to go.

Personal favorites: Corolla, Camry, Rav-4, Matrix Echo (if you can find one), small light and efficient. Celica for a coupe, though I've heard not as reliable.

Reply to
Hachiroku

They've all got a good reputation for reliability but I'd suggest going to the public library and looking in Consumer Reports for the used car ratings in issues 4 to 5 years (or more) after the model year of the car(s) you're interested in. Sometimes there are trouble spots in certain models that you may want to avoid. I suggest looking at a older issues because that will show problems that didn't show up in the first year or two.

Most everybody here has good experiences with Toyotas but we mostly don't have the big picture of overall reliability.

There is also a topic back on 10/15 called "Certified Used Toyotas" that may interest you. You do pay more for a certified car but you might decide it's worth it for you.

If you don't go certified, get the prospective car checked out by a mechanic you trust. If you do go certified, you might still want a mechanic you trust to look at the car.

Reply to
DH

Reply to
tom418

What if I don't have a mechanic I can trust ? Should I buy a used car?

Reply to
Jesse

Let's see. I'm NOT a mechanic, but I know a fair amount about cars. I bought a 1995 Tercel in 2001 with 99,000; drove it for 35,000 miles and sold it for $200 more than I paid, did very little repair in the mean time.

Bought a 1985 Celica for $250, put 30,000 on it in 3 years.

Bought a Supra last year for $600, paid $300 for ALL new belts and hoses. This car does need some failry serios work, but I drive it every day, just adding oil and tranny fluid once a month.

Yeah, I'd buy a used car...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Unless you're going to have nothing but new cars under warranty (or ride the bus), it's probably a good idea to ask around and find a mechanic or shop that's trustworthy.

If you don't have a trusted mechanic and are thinking about a used car, check back issues of Popular Mechanics, Popular Science and Consumer Reports for articles on how to buy a used car - or look for a book on that subject - at your public library. These articles will tell you what to look for, where to check for smoke, oil leakage, etc.

Angie's List (a web thing) might be able to help you find trustworthy auto repair. At least I think it's called Angie's List. It's a list of services and suppliers recommended by Angie's members or subscribers. It might also list new and used car dealers found to be trustworthy.

Reply to
DH