Plug broke-off in head, now what??

I took my truck into the dealer and they got am error code indicating something wrong in #3 cylinder. The mechanic said the plug broke off while he was trying to remove it. It broke mid thread on the plug so that half of the lower metal part of the plug is still in the head. He said he will have to remove the head to be able to get at the plug to remove it. Initial estimate is $1700. Yikes!! I don't know how to proceed.....any suggestions? thank

Reply to
semidemiurge

You hope that the part of the plug in the cylinder is still good and solder the ignition wire very carefully to the plug. ;-)

Seriously, $1700 to remove and replace a cylinger head seems a bit expensive. What kind of truck? What year? What engine? How many miles on the vehicle?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

They're the ones that broke it. They should really pay for it...my opnion only. Why should you pay for their mistake?

There is a method for broken screws where they drill a hole into it and put a tapping screw on it. The tapping screw is subsequently what is used to remove the broken screw. I've never seen it done on spark plugs but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work.

Either way, I wouldn't go back to them. Why give them a $1700 profit for their pernicious work?

Reply to
Viperkiller

Please tell us how one "solders" carbon wire? ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Mike, it was a joke. Get another clue. (the ;-) was one).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Talk to the Service Manager. Maybe you can talk him into splitting the cost. $850.00 USD for pulling the head is a little more reasonable.

or

If the engine has a lot of miles on it and it's a 4 cylinder, see if you can talk him into a valve job while he has the head off for that price. In either case, the price should include all needed parts (timing belt, gaskets).

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

Make sure you take the plug so they can't keep using it!

Reply to
Fishface