Spark Plug shot out of head - what kind of damage?

97 Camry LE, 4-Cyl, 90K miles

Well, upon starting the engine, we heard a loud bang and saw some smoke from under the hood. Shut it off immediatly, and found that a spark plug had shot out of the engine block and into the underside of the hood.

What kind of damage to the engine is likely here? It it simply a matter of putting the spark plug back in, or rethreading the head to do so, or is there likely to me some major things going on here. We had it towed to a Toyota dealer (unfortunatly we were out of town at the time), and will find out tomorrow, but would like to be prepared.

Reply to
Touch Tone Tommy

more than likely you lost the threads in the head. A helicoil can be put in place to repair the threads and it should be stronger than the original threads. I would expect it to cost less than $200. Not sure of the exact price though. I think most mechanics do it with the head on the car.

Scot

Reply to
Scot

Scot,

I hope that most mechanics take the head off.. In order to install a helicoil you will more than likely have to drill and helicoils self thread so metal is going to get into the engine.

Tony

Reply to
1992 Toyota Xcab

IF one is going to remove the cylinder head to perform a spark plug hole thread repair, you are NOT going to use something as fragile and pressure leak prone as a 'helicoil' to make the repair. Weld up the hole, drill, and retap or Time Serts.

Philip®

Well, the proper thing to do would be to remove the head. But mechanics that I know of will not do that. They tap new threads insert the coil and use compressed air to remove the head shavings.

Helicoils are a standard method of repairing plug threads. Unless you weld with a stronger material, they will not be as strong as a steel helicoil.

Scot

Reply to
Scot

I don't know about Toyota's policy, but I do know that Ford specifically warns agains the use of helicoils for spark plug tread repairs. As Philip suggested Time Serts are the way to go - or just replace the head. I would guess you could get a rebuilt cylinder head for under $400 + installation. If you go this route you get the valve job thrown in.

Regards,

Ed White

Scot wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

Thanks for the replies everyone. Our mechanic used a Time Sert to repair it, changed out the plugs and wires, andgot us back on the road. The biggest problem was that we were 130 miles from home on a Saturday night, and had to have it towed to the local Toyota dealer, rent a car to get home. On Monday when I called the dealer, was told that they could probably repair the threads, but a few hours later I was told they were putting together an estimate for around $2600 to replace the head! Had it towed to our local guy, and for $400 we are back on the road!

Reply to
Touch Tone Tommy