Plug broke-off in head, now what??

I took my truck into the dealer and they got am error code indicating something wrong in #3 cylinder. The mechanic said the plug broke off while he was trying to remove it. It broke mid thread on the plug so that half of the lower metal part of the plug is still in the head. He said he will have to remove the head to be able to get at the plug to remove it. Initial estimate is $1700. Yikes!! I don't know how to proceed.....any suggestions? thank

Reply to
semidemiurge

semidemiurge found these unused words:

Let your family Lawyer talk to them ???

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

The advantage you have is that the plug is a relatively large diameter object so you have some room to play with. Assuming the plug hole is accessable, get all of the center electrode out so that there is just a hole left in the center of what used to be a spark plug. Yes, there will likely be some pieces that get into the cylinder. Get that piston at top dead center on a compression stroke before you start to help minimize the volume in which the pieces can travel. You'll just have to risk it. Once there is a hole, insert an appropriate easy-out and try to back out the threads of the former plug. Use lots of penetrant. You might luck out and be able to remove it. If you get it out, work a flexible magnet through the spark plug hole and into the combustion chamber to try to pick up as many metallic pieces that may have fallen in as is possible. I'd also rig up a vacuum pump, such as a Mighty-Vac, to try to suck up non-ferrous pieces. The moral of this story is that one NEVER, NEVER inserts a spark plug (or any other bolt on a machine for that matter) without a liberal coating of anti-seize compund on the threads. Good luck. Al

Reply to
al

No. Unfortunately, you are wrong.

There is a piece of paper most dealers have you sign when you drop off your vehicle. It says they are not liable for any damages done to your vehicle - even if they cause the damages while trying to repair your vehicle.

"crazymary"

Reply to
jp2express

Easily voided by any competent attorney.

"jp2express" found these unused words:

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien