Prius Life Span 100k? Electric Motor Also Carcinogenic?

What's the consensus on this? I have talked to several people at work who considered buying a Prius but backed out because they felt the electric motor might cause cancer by producing carconogenic particulates. Has this been ever discussed?

Also, I've read in some blogs that the average life span of a Prius is something like 100,000 miles.

Even if these are hearsay, has the lifespan of the vehicle or cancer ever been addressed by Toyota or other defenders of the environment? Thanks.

Reply to
Toyota Tommy

"Toyota Tommy >" What's the consensus on this? I have talked to several people at work

You're full of crap

Reply to
mark digital©

LOL

Short sweet and to the point....and true.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

To be safe, buy those $5 stickers than you stick on the back of your mobile phone to absorb radiation and stick a couple of them in the motor compartment. Those people at your work are Hybrids... half idiot - half moron. (with all due respect)

Reply to
EdV

There are some carcinogenic compounds in gasoline and probably gasoline exhaust.

However, to the best of my knowledge, except for some ozone released by many electrical motors and generators, there is nothing carcinogenic released. And the ozone is probably minimal.

Where?

Yeah, Toyota has a long warranty on the batteries. And the amount of carcinogens is less than for regular cars.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

"Toyota Tommy >" What's the consensus on this? I have talked to several people at work

I don't know what kind of medical or technical background the people you work with have, but I have never heard of any instance where an electric motor has caused cancer or been suspected of causing cancer.

There are many instances of Prius vehicles lasting well over 100,000 miles.

Reply to
Ray O

very simple.. the battery is as good as the warranty for the battery

"Toyota Tommy >" What's the consensus on this? I have talked to several people at work

Reply to
GoMavs

This is the dumbest post I've seen in a while...

Reply to
B A R R Y

that's crazy. have you ever turned your TV on? they will destroy your geraniums out in the garden... SAME LOGIC. get your head out of your ass.

Reply to
zammy

Wrong. The battery is good for as long as it lasts, or until the warranty runs out.

Many things last much longer than their warranty, most Toyota parts, for instance.

It's not like cars just die at 36,001 mi.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

"Toyota Tommy >" What's the consensus on this? I have talked to several people at work

100K lifespan.... WTF... You may want to go here and scroll down to the last image at the bottom of the page.
Once you get over that image please go to the home page
and read up there is some very good information about the car there.
Reply to
Daniel Who Wants to Know