Problem with Tire sensors on 4Runner?

Has anyone else had problems with the tire sensors on the 2004 4runner?

Mine keeps going off and i've had them replaced, but it hasn't solved my problem.

Reply to
Anonomouse

When "going off," does that mean that you are getting a low tire pressure warning?

Assuming that you verified tire pressure with a good tire pressure gauge, did you also check the spare tire?

Reply to
Ray O

Yes, the tire sensor warning light is coming on. Yes, the spare has the correct amount of air also.

Reply to
Anonomouse

To answer your original question, yours is the first post I recall reading regarding a low pressure warning system that uses actual air pressure sensors. Some systems use the ABS speed sesnors that turn on a light if it detects a speed differential due to an underinflated tire.

Were the sensors replaced at a Toyota dealership? After the sensors were replaced, did the system work correctly for a while or did the light come on right away? I assume that the shop that replaced the sensors offers some kind of warranty on the repair so you should be able to bring it back if it is still within the warranty period, which I believe is 12 months/12,000 miles or the balance of the 36 month/36,000 original vehicle warranty, whichever is longer.

I can only think of 6 things that would make the tire pressure warning light come on.

1) Tire pressure is low in one or more tires (which you have already eliminated as a possible cause) 2) The new sensors were not "registered" correctly with the receiver or the receiver is picking up a signal from another source 3) Something has contaminated one or more of the sensors. Possible contaminants are moisture in the compressed air used to fill the tire, bead sealer used to seat the tire bead on the wheel rim, or a fix-a-flat or green slime product 4) One or more of the sensors is defective 5) There is a problem with the low pressure warning light receiver circuit or control module.
Reply to
Ray O

See:

TSB PG004-06 Direct-type tire pressure warning system diagnositc tips Nov. 28, 2006

2004-2007 4Runner 2005-2006 Tundra 2005-2007 Sequoia 2006-2006 Land Cruiser, Prius, RAV4, Tacoma 2007 Avalon, Camry, Solara, Scion tC

and

TSB PG001-04 Direct tire pressure warning system March 16, 2004, revised December 21, 2006

2004-2007 4Runner
Reply to
mrv

also:

TSB PG009-03 Adjustment of tire inflation pressure November 24, 2003, revised December 21, 2006

2004-2007 4Runner
Reply to
mrv

I am having this problem as well. 06 4runner, barely 8 months old. low pressure signal went on, i checked the tire and it was low, so i changed out the spare. light went away. few days later, came back on, and i checked all the tires and they are all at 35psi. going to dealer later to check it out.

"Anonomouse" wrote: > Has anyone else had problems with the tire sensors on the 2004 > 4runner? > > Mine keeps going off and i've had them replaced, but it hasn't > solved my > problem.

Reply to
a27lee

There is a TSB on an updated Tire Pressure Sensor for 2005 and 2006 Tundras, perhaps the condition is similar to the 4Runner.

Reply to
Ray O