{Q:} Diff. between Alarm and Keyless Entry?

On a new Sequoia, what is the difference between "Keyless entry" and an alarm? Do they do the same thing, or are there advantages to one vs. the other?

Reply to
Anonomouse

My car (Generic GM, Mid 90's) has keyless entry which allows me to unlock the doors via remote and it also activates an immobiliser to stop the car being stolen. what it doesn't do is chirp when you lock and unlock the doors or make lots of noise if someone breaks the glass and unlocks the door and try's to open it. The version with the car alarm does that. Neither will stop a thief if they really want the car or anything in it, but the alarm just lets you and the rest of the neighbourhood know it's happening.

Reply to
Nicholas Bourne

On my Scion, there isn't a difference, except, as Nick said, no chirp. Try to open the door after it has been locked! Just make sure the neighbors don't mind loud noises! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Depending on the specific application in your vehicle, the keyless entry and theft deterrent system are integrated. If you have a "panic" mode on you keyless entry fob, they are integrated.

Reply to
Ray O

One major difference between your GM and a Toyota is that once the Toyota has been alarmed, if someone breaks in, they WON'T be able to start the car. Unless, of course, they rip the driver's door apart, fiddle with the wiring and make the car think they've locked/unlocked the door again with a key.

'Course they could just tow it away or steal stuff from it since no one pays attention to alarms anymore.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

You can't start my car without the correct key as it has a key reader built into the ECU, and also if the door look does not operate the Body Control Module also does not send the correct signal to the ECU either.

Just For the Record, my car was also a TOYOTA Lexen, named after Ben Lexan the designer of Australia II and it's winged keel.

Reply to
Nicholas Bourne