Q: new shocks/struts - when?

How do I know when my car needs a new set of shocks/struts? The car is a 2001 Corolla CE, 121,000 miles. The suspension feels pretty soft - much softer than that on my 1992 Civic LX (222,000 miles.) But I can't remember whether it's always been this way, or if it's gotten softer over time.

Cheers

Reply to
bubbabubbs

When we used to test shocks, we would bounce each corner of the vehicle hard, let go and count the bounces before a total stop. Good shocks will bounce maybe 1- 1 1/2 times. Worn out ones bounce 3 times or more. Two bounces and change was just about ready to change out.

Mike

Mike Romain

Mike Romain wrote in news:45facd22$0$6431 $ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.newshosting.com:

What if the shocks have 284,000 miles on them and still don't even bounce once when you stop pushing?

Reply to
Tegger

Leave 'em alone.

Do you know what a shock does? It controls bouncing. That's it!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Time to buy stock in their maker....

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

Assuming it passes the bounce test mentioned by others, all that's left is whether you're happy with the way the car feels. If you're not, explore other options, but be sure you do the research so you don't replace one kind of "normal" with the exact same thing.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I think the people who want you to buy their shocks and struts say

60K, so take that for what it's worth.

I think the general rule of thumb for checking is to push down once on each corner of the car; if it comes back up and stops, it's fine. If it bounces, then they need replacing.

Reply to
Joe Schmuckatelli

Mike Romain wrote in news:45fad3cd$0$5636$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.newshosting.com:

Which is whoever supplied Honda in 1991. New OEM shocks are about $250Cdn each.

We used to have an '86 Toyota MR2. The shocks on that went bad at about

100K miles, and the car felt really rubbery going over railroad tracks and other uneven surfaces. Replacing the shocks fixed that.
Reply to
Tegger

There are two controls. Strut dampening controls 1)the spring energy in rebound, and 2)compression dampening using metering valves to slow it to an engineered specification (such as driving into a pot hole). Your car having that many miles on it probably has not only worn out struts but more importantly, worn out springs. Example: If you were to only install brand new springs on it, the strut metering valving being worn, would probably not be able to handle the "stronger" spring energy and would "fail" a bounce test. A bounce test is not the only indicator of wear. You need to check the height of the vehicle on level ground, usually measured from the bottom of the rocker panels, to the factory specification. That is the most common check of spring wear. IMHO, you may need not only new struts but new springs as well. I hope this was helpful. Good luck.

Reply to
user

The problem with the bounce test is that one shock/strut could be gone and still pass the test.

Look at the strut itself is there a wet look to it, perhaps caked up dirt? That COULD mean it is blown.

Also look at the tires, does it look like the tread is uneven across the tire or cupped in any way?

Biggest one is ride. What happens when you go over a bump, does the car bounce up and down a few times before evening out?

Does any of the wheels make a loud noise when it hits a pothole or bump?

When you go around a curve and hit a bump does it fish tail?

On my Corolla the rear struts got so bad they froze up on me this winter. It felt like ridding around on solid suspension. Once it warmed up they smoothed out. But the only sign I had they were going bad was the way tires looked on the rear, passed the bounce test and visual test. That and 210,000mi on the car.

I know Monroe recommends replacement every 50,000mi, and they have a life time warranty.

Reply to
motoron

My personal belief is that for a small car Corolla's offer a softer ride then one would normally expect. It's not a caddy but nice.

Reply to
motoron

Ugh...he said Monroe...

CarQuest offers KYB struts/shocks as 'their' brand. They are not perhaps as ggod as buying them from a regular KYB supplier, but they are gas, have better valving for compression/rebound, and for a Corolla should be >$50 per. That's pretty good for KYBs with Lifetime.

And check the struts! I replaced the struts with 'inserts' on a Celica, 3 years later with nice shocks, the flange holding the sring up rotted and dropped the spring on the tire! Good thing I was doing all of 5 MPH. If it looks flaky, replace the entire strut.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I'd say you're very lucky!

The bounce test, as I'm sure YOU know, is just a rule of thumb. I had a car pass the bounce test and then felt like the rear end was falling off going around corners.

Reply to
Hachiroku

== What would you deem acceptable sag dimension?

Reply to
Daniel

The manufacturer usually sets a specification of "within limits", each model vehicle is usually different. You have to know what the factory setup spec is, to even know how much "sag" you have now. Most springs are not that expensive to purchase. You must replace in pairs. The additional labor required is minimal when you have the car apart for strut replacement alone.

Reply to
user

=?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= wrote in news:oxCKh.1636$FS5.1157@trndny09:

I just tried all four corners on my '91 Integra (284K miles), just now.

The two fronts are really hard to get bouncing. I kneel on the bumper and jump with all my 180 lbs, trying to get the front end to bounce. I manage to move it a little bit but as soon as I stop jumping it simply goes back up and stops. Maybe I need to gain weight.

The rears are quite a lot easier to bounce. I can make the rear move several inches. When I take my knee off the bumper, it moves back up, then back down again maybe 1/2". Then it stops.

Our '99 Tercel (80K miles) is a different story. The front of that acts like the rear of the Integra. Once I stop bouncing the rears (which are really soft), it goes back up, down an inch, then back up again a half- inch.

The bounce test must be approximate. My 'Teg feels looser than the new Corolla I drove last year. This in spite af all-new OEM bushings all around on the 'Teg. Might it also have to do with tires?

Reply to
Tegger

"Ph@Boy" wrote in news:c5SdnaSEXPa2kGbYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@trueband.net:

Just checked my factory manual for my Integra. There is no height specification given.

Just checked a number of other Honda manuals I have. No height given in any of them. I wonder why?

Reply to
Tegger

=?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= wrote in news:cwCKh.1635$FS5.532@trndny09:

Oh, you had that happen too?

This happened to our old '86 MR2. Spring seat rotted out, fell down and wrecked a rear tire. I was driving when it happened and it was pretty alarming.

Reply to
Tegger

tch tch tch...gettin' a little testy, Tegger? ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

I bet! I had made the dicision NOT to tkae the Interstate home and checked a nearby Salvation Army for deals. There weren't any...

Except that I wasn't doing 70 when the spring dropped!

Guess I owe a lot to the SA!

Reply to
Hachiroku