Question re: corolla exhaust manifold.

During a routine oil change ('96 toyota corolla 1.6L), the mechanic suggested that I have my cracked exhaust manifold changed. Replacements costs were about $430 (parts + labor). I did some rate shopping for parts online and with the toyota dealers. The dealer parts were approx. $250 (manifold & gaskets). Autozone was about $120. What about online (aftermkt) parts? The site mentioned these parts with and w/o the oxygen sensor? Does the '96 corolla need one?

Are the autozone parts just fine? I just trying to save some serious $$$ ...any pointers will be very very helpful.

/Nach

Reply to
shettync

The easiest way to tell whether your car has the oxygen sensor mounted in the exhaust manifold is to open the hood and take a look. If you see a cylindrical object with wires sticking out of the exhaust manifold, then it has an oxygen sensor. No wires - no sensor. If your car has a heat shield over the manifold, you might want to get a new one because the old one is probably rusted on.

I am not familiar with any of those aftermarket parts so I do not know whether they are find or not. Besides durability, the other consideration is fit.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray,

Thanks for the quick reply. I did not notice anything sticking off the manifold ..so I guess no o2 sensor? :) Do you suggest I just stick with the dealer parts ..are the ones from Autozone recommended?

Thanks, /N

Ray O wrote:

shettync

If there are no electrical wires sticking out of anything attached to the exhaust manifold, then there is no O2 sensor there.

As far as whether you should stick with dealer parts or aftermarket parts... You know from experience that the OEM exhaust manifold will probably last at least 10 or 11 years. I do not have any experience with Autozone or any other aftermarket exhast manifolds so I have no idea how long they will last. They may last longer than OEM or they may have a shorter life. An advantage to buying auto parts over the counter is that returning or exchanging them is less hassle than returning internet parts. As long as the aftermarket parts have a decent guarantee, I'd use aftermarket on an 11 year old car.

Reply to
Ray O

I only buy on-line as a last resort. If it doesn't fit or has a problem, the onus is on you to get it back to the vendor.

It may cost a bit more to buy it locally, but if there is a problem, you go back to the store!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Quite right, Hachi, and I'd hate to be the guy paying for an exhaust manifold sent by UPS ...or FEDEX! (and both ways if it doesn't fit!)

Reply to
mack

You want to see a BIG Fed Ex bill?

I sent my Canon 5 D camera and an expensive zoom lens to Canon for repair....

Value of the shipment?

5000....
Reply to
Scott in Florida

Autozone grrrr.

Autozone! Radiator cap split the seam open on my radiator's top tank 3 miles down the road. Autozone! Smashed wheel bearing grease seals pressing them in the old seals without hurting the old seals. Autozone! There best brake pads were so far from the correct size one fell off driving. (don't sell oem sized)

Guess I should say that most parts I have bought there worked. But don't expect quality parts.

Dan

Reply to
Danny G.

down the road.