90 Camry Broken Hood Latch Cable

I have a 1990 Camry wagon that I love, but currently can't open the hood. This is a problem because the car leaks oil and I'm becoming scared of driving it.

When I pull on the lever, there is no resistance, but I tried pulling the wire itself with a pair of pliers from within the car and the cable didn't seem to be completely lose (I wasn't able to pull the broken cable into the car).

I have removed the grille and can't see any way to access the cable at the latch to pull it and have removed the bolts holding the latch to the car, but the latch catches as I try to lift the hood, so I'm only able to open it about an inch.

I have also tried to push the catch on the latch over, but spent about an hour doing this and stopped before complete insanity set in.

Any help is greatly appreciated because I am quite seriously thinking about drilling a hole through the hood and forcing the latch open that way.

Thanks very much,

Fritz.

Reply to
Fritz

There are 2 releases for the hood - the cable release in the car and a secondary release under the hood.

Reply to
Ray O