Question re: O2 sensor.

My mechanic is adamant: the Bosch O2 sensor (85 CAD) is adequate for my 2.2L

93 Camry. The dealer has a different opinion, saying that the OEM (290 CAD) is better because it is heated or pre-heated, I don't quite remember what they said about this. What is the collective wisdom on this matter? JP
Reply to
Bassplayer12

Look at your existing (original) oxygen sensor. For the '93 four cylinder there should be one wire at the primary sensor. To the best of my knowledge, the original sensor is unheated. I always like to use original equipment, but you can always shop for price and often do much better than the local dealer. Use your VIN number when ordering so they can be sure to select the correct part for your vehicle. O2 sensors need to be hot before generating a signal, so the addition of a heating filament helps them heat up more quickly thus saving some fuel when first starting up. However, the most common failure mode is for the heating element to burn out over time, whereas if the unheated O2 sensor remains free of contamination, they can last quite a long time.

Reply to
Daniel

my 93 camry 2.2 with the 5s-fe is unheated.

Reply to
Craig Baker