Any opinions on 1997 Rav4?

Hey guys, 1st time post here.

I'm thinking of buying a 2WD 1997 Rav4 auto trans for traveling around the country in this spring through early fall (not continuously) and was wondering if anyone has any insight into what I should look for or watch out for when shopping for this vehicle. Are they as reliable as consumer reports indicates? Is a 100,000+ mi Rav4 in good condition up to taking 6,000-8,000 mi journeys without major problems along the way?

Any thoughts are well appreciated, Greg

Reply to
Greg

Greg,

I had a 2-door 98 Rav4 auto trans and 4x4. I was overall disappointed in it. I found the gas mileage disappointing and my (and my wife's) back did not fit the (front) seats very well. The back seats where a little better, but not suitable for an adult on long trips.

I found the suspension very unforgiving and front end alignment critical for an ok ride. I have had lots of sports cars and the Rav4 had a firm suspension, but not the handling qualities of a sports car.

I was shocked at the large turning radius for such a small car.

The Rav4 was noisy, and the interior was a bit 'round' around the edges.

On the plus side the little car had enough room (barely) for my wife and I and our stuff for 3-4 day diving trip (including dry suits, tanks, weights, and cloths). We had NO issues or problems with the car. The engine seemed well up to the task. It was very responsive and peppy. The auto shifting was smooth and seemed to shift at the right points.

We now each have other Toyotas a Corolla and a Tacoma 4 door 4x4. The Tacoma is a great truck and is light-years ahead of the Rav4.

In summery, the car felt like it would last a long time, but the truth is I did not want it to last that long as it was not a car I would like to keep for a long time nor take long trips in. Around town it was ok, but the large turning radius often made parking more of a chore then it had to be.

I hope this helps

Kevin

Reply to
news.clara.net