Re: 2000 Echo-time to buy a new car???

The Vibe is basically a Matrix, that you can buy from a Pontiac dealer for at least $2,500 less, with more equipment. Price both before you buy, WBMA ;)

>> Greetings everyone, >> I have some general questions about knowing when to buy a new car. I >> bought a 2000 Toyota Echo in December of 1999. When I bought it, I >> wasn't doing too much driving, since I commuted to New York City via >> train to go to work. I just needed a car for a little local driving, >> so the Echo seemed perfect. I am single, no kids.etc., so a small car >> seemed perfect. I have been very happy with the Echo mostly. However, >> today I took it in for the 80K mile check-up at my local dealer. My >> service adviser initially told me it would cost about $300.00. >> After about an hour, they called me in and said the car needed several >> things repaired, and that the cost would now be about $1300! >> I said OK, so they did all the repairs. >> It seems now, that every time I take the car in for service, they find >> things wrong with it. >> This was not the case for the first few years that I owned the car. >> My questions are these: >> Does it make any sense to keep this car? >> Am I better off getting a new car every two to three years? >> Are Corollas better built and sturdier than the Yaris or the Matrix? >> Is leasing a sensible option? >> I just balk at having to keep throwing money away on this Echo, which >> was pretty cheap at the time. >> By the way, the Echo was my first car that I bought on my own since my >> college days way back. I always lived in big cities, and never had to >> have a car until I moved out to the 'burbs. >> Any comments or suggestions are welcomed. >> Thanks in advance. > > One woman on this ng owns an Echo - she may be able to give you some > advice from her POV. > > I'm on my 4th Corolla - starting in '84, & have been happy with all of > them. The one I have now is 4 1/2 yrs. old; needed new brakes & tires this > past summer, but that's all so far. The other 3 were kept for 6 - 8 years > before selling or trading them, & I was happy with all of them. > > The Matrix is bascially a Corolla in different clothing, so they should be > very similar. > > Cathy > > >> >> Darren >> >> > >
Reply to
Mike Hunter

.

And check the history of each. Although the basics are the same as the Matrix, they have different bodies, etc., etc., and are built in different factories.

You may find something you prefer in one or the other.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger