Re: Messing with the Moose!

For those of you who don't know, I'm delivering papers on a "motor route"

> while waiting for my next Middle Class Welfare job. I do this in a rural > area with a few dirt roads. > > One particular dirt road is so windy and twisty that it's a 3rd gear ride > for 2/3 of the road, then it straightens out and is smooth enough for > 40~45 MPH. > > So, this morning, I clear the last corner, shift into forth, press the gas > and.....GAAAAH! WTF?!?! It's a MOOSE!!!! Lock 'em up and slide to a halt > in a cloud of dust...

But that's so cool that you saw a moose. I've never seen one IRL. I think I would've just stopped & watched him amble on down the road. (This is assuming he was ambling away from me, not at me.)

Cathy

> Bulwinkle looks at me and starts loping down the road slowly. I start to > move forward, and the faster I go the faster the moose goes. We get up to > 25 MPH, and I decide Bullwinkle either has to move his @$$ faster or get > the helk off the road. So, I toot the horn. > > He halts for a millisecond, glances over his shoulder at me and begins to > trot again. Another 30 feet, I hit the horn again. He locks 'em up for a > second, gives me another look, and starts trotting again. Hit the horn > again, this time he stops for a couple seconds and gives me a look... > > Fifty more feet, I blast the horn again. Bullwinkle comes to a stop, turns > halfway around and gives me a look that says, "You hit that friggin' thing > one more time, and I'll shove it somewhere the sun don't shine!" > > I decided enough was enough, and so did he, because about 10 more feet > down the road there was a two-track, he started down it, and I let him get > a ways before I ventured past... > >
Reply to
Cathy F.

Wow, you live where you live and you've never seen a moose?!

This was my third...I don't wanna see one at that time of night again!

Reply to
Hachiroku

No moose here.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Hachiroku ???? opin'd thus:

I grew up in Northern Minnesota where my dad was a game warden for lots of years and I went out with him many times to help take care of car-hit and truck-hit moose (they can really do a number on a semi when they're hit at over 60 mph!!) and to help him with many other outdoors things that were his responsibility. I never saw a moose anywhere but the ones that were done in by vehicles until several years later when I went up to visit and we were out blowing up a beaver dam (they block the drainage ditches regularly and are really hard to discourage) and one came ambling out of the woods, gave us a bored look and ambled off to the woods on the other side. They aren't scared of ANYTHING.

At least moose don't typically jump out in front of or into cars the way deer will. But you really, really don't want to hit one; all that mass can destroy a car.

(I know someone who hit one with a motorcycle and survived. The guy AND the motorcycle came out OK and the moose died . . . .)

-Don (from the wilds of MN)

Reply to
Don Fearn

Sure there are! Do you live south of the I-90 'connector' from Mass? If you live anywhere north or west of Albany, and near or above Rt 20, they are all around. They just tend to keep away from the highways.

Hachiroku

Nope. No moose here. Turkeys, foxes, bears (well, this last more north of here, not in immediate vicinity)... yes; moose, no.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.