Tacoma's hold their resale value?

I'm shopping for a 05 or 06 Tacoma extra cab, 4 cyl, under 20,000 miles. No specific trim package. Based on the prices I see for these used trucks, it appears that they dont depreciate rapidly. I may be better off just buying a new truck from a dealership as the price difference for used 05 or 06 does not appear to be substantial.

I've never owned a Toyota before, so I'm turning to this forum for any opinions on depreciation and buying new vs. used.

Thanks!!

Reply to
Ralph

Yes, they do hold their value pretty well. Still, if you see a used one you like, there's no harm offering less and maybe you'll luck into a deal.

Reply to
dh

Ralph,

Tacomas don't hold their resale value for anything. I bought my 1995 brand new for about $12,000 off the lot, and after 11 years and 190K trouble-free miles it's barely worth three grand.

You won't likely see much drop in used prices until mileage gets around 70K. With most cars that's a significant chunk of their anticipated life - but a Tacoma's just about getting broke in at that point!

Your mileage, as they say, may vary - but in the real world my own experience is not unique. My previous Toyota, a 1985 Corolla, I sold with

287K miles on the clock. It still ran fine but burned just enough oil that it wouldn't pass the California smog test. I also currently own a 1987 Corolla hatchback with 135K on the clock and with proper maintenance hope to see that one through the 300K mile mark.

One caveat - I don't - won't - live where roads are salted in winter so don't know how susceptible Toyotas are to rust. If that particular cancer doesn't get 'em, they tend to run forever.

-- Mike Harris Austin, TX

Reply to
Mike Harris

The Tacoma is a good truck, but so are all of its competitors trucks. Educate yourself, go get a total drive home price on a new Tacoma, Dakota, and a Ranger, all similarly equipped and you will soon discover why a used Tacoma is selling at that price. The Tacoma costs thousands more to drive home new, than the others. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

While you're there, DRIVE the trucks. Go for a REAL test drive. Maneuver in parking lots, hit an interstate, drive some twisties...

It will quickly become apparent why people will pay more, for both new and used examples of Tacomas.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I (my daughter) bought an '02 in '04, and for $1500 more, we could have bought new with electric windows and door locks. I'm still kicking myself for not dumping the Used Car guy and striking up a relationship with the New Car guy. Oh yeah, we bought a Tacoma PreRunner, 4 banger, 2WD.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

PS My kid wrecked her Tacoma PreRunner a few weeks ago -- other driver's fault -- and the insurance settlement was very close to equal what we paid for the truck two years ago.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
Ralph

check ou

or tundrasolutions.com, just traded in my '96 camry coupe 5-spd manny w/255,000 miles on it for a nice 2006 solara 5-spd. got a grand for it!! wouldn't pass emissions needed a cat and 2 o2 sensors, 8 yrs..enuf... Oh what a feeling...

Reply to
steve-o

If they did you must not have noticed they added state taxes to the value. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Yes, they did that too. But the price they paid was very nearly the price I paid when I bought the truck 2 years ago, including tax -- and I bought it from a dealership.

I recently bought a '95 Bronco that was stolen 2 months later, and they paid me MORE (like, 150%) than I paid for the truck in the first place. Having said that, my '94 BMW was settled for less than it cost me to buy another one of the same year and model, so I don't get it at all how they valuate this stuff. .

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Boy, your insurance company must love you!

Reply to
Ray O

Yeah. I can hardly wait for the Christmas Card this year. I expect it to have a cancellation notice in it. 20 some odd years with never a claim, then

4 claims -- 2 totals, a theft, and an at-fault collision -- all in the same 12 months. All of this from only two drivers too. It's an ugly picture ...
Reply to
Jeff Strickland

We've got a child with two "strikes." One of them was no big deal and could have been dealt with privately, without risk to the premiums, but the child did not call her father FIRST, she filed a police report wtihout telling me. Gaaa! We don't let her drive very often, anymore. God gave her two good legs and I gave her one good bicycle.

Reply to
dh

You're a good customer as long as you pay with no claims ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

That's what I expect the Christmas Card to say ... ;-)

Merry Christmas , We've enjoyed the relationship for these past years. However, we paid out some hefty claims in the past 12 months and no longer enjoy having you as a customer.

Have a Happy New Year, The Automobile Club.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You must be buying used vehicles ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

If you expect to be 'non renewed,' I suggest you change insurance companies before you policy expires. Although you will still be rated with the at fault claims if any, that rating is much lower than being classified as one who has had a policy canceled.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Read your insurance policy and you will find you are REQUIRED to report ALL accidents to your carrier no mater whom is at fault. Not doing so can be big trouble, if at some point down the road litigation is started against you. Failure to notify the company can get you canceled.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I'll second that.....