Thoughts on measuring crank end-play with a feeler guage

Per the factory manual, Toyota 7MGE engine shows standard thrust clearance as .05 - .25 mm - .002 - 0098 in with max of .30 mm - .

0118 in

The manual says to use a dial indicator, which I won't be able to get my hands on until next week due to logistics.

With the crank shoved forward (or backward) I can wiggle an oiled .004 inch/.127 mm feeler - i.e. twice the thickness of the low end of the standard clearance range and a bit less than half of max clearance - between the thrust washer and thrust surface of the crank, though it's not like it slides in right to the journal, I can get it in about 1/8 inch.

Does this sound about good or should I really wait until I can get a dial indicator?

Reply to
HiC

That sounds good.

Reply to
Ray O

Get a gauge on a magnetic stand, they are not that expensive. You will get an accurate readout. It's better than the feeler gages that you sometimes have to grind the sides off a bit to make them fit in IMHO.

Reply to
user

That is fine.

Reply to