Setting crank end play

I understand the whole process accept on how do you move it to see the gap. Do you hit the belt pulley with a mallet or pry the flywheel with screwdrivers?

Reply to
Mel

I think you remove the engine to check the end play.

Remove the v-belt.

Push the pulley =91in=92 by hand.

Gently pull it out with two large flat blade screw drivers.

These links might help:

Some of the tools you might need:

TORQUE TOOL FLYWHEEL & DRUM PLATE KIT

END PLAY TOOL FOR ALL AIRCOOLED MODELS
UNIVERSAL FLYWHEEL LOCK

Jim Ed

The excellent book by Tom Wilson, "How to Rebuild Your Volkswagen Air-Cooled Engine" explains how to set end play.

Amazon.com gives you a look at the text. (Click to LOOK INSIDE!) Unfortunately, the pictures adjoining the text aren't included. The section on how to set crank end play begins on pg 125 (last paragraph) and continues on through pg 127. It covers both the dial indicator method and the feeler gauge method.

At the Amazon page, Click on "Expanded View" to the right of where it shows "Zoom - Zoom +". Then in the left column where it says "Search Inside This Book" enter "crankshaft end play". Scroll down until the choice for Page 125 shows and click on that.

You can buy the book used for $9.70. If I were to buy only one book explaining how to put an engine together this would be it. Since the book was published in 1987 and no new editions or reprints have apparently been done, it may go 'out of stock' someday.

-- Randall

Reply to
Randall