Timing Belt

How much should it cost to get it changed out on my 01 Camry (4 cyl)? Is there some kind of prefered belt I should have put on (kevlar -maybe)?

I guess I'll take it to a dealer for this and I imagine they warrant it? While they have it apart , I'll have 'em do the hoses, belts and what else should fall in line with this job? I imagine the coolant is something they'd have to renew anyway.

TIA

CP

Reply to
Charles Pisano

You may want them to also replace the water pump as there is only a little extra labor plus the cost of the water pump.

Reply to
Ray O

Charles,

The normal job requires removing the plastic shroad covering the belt. One engine mount has to be temp removed. I would always use a geninue Toyota belt and there is only one kind. They should last over 60K miles. The water has to be drained if the hoses are to be replaced which is a good idea. Belts too. The water pump is actually driven by the timing belt so it's always good to replace that too. If the timing belt is being replaced for the second time I always replace the idler pulley and tension spring that the belt rides on. This should leave everything except the thermostat but that's fairly easy to get to later if it gives problems. I've heard there is a new thermostat available that always sticks in the open position when it fails--sounds good. If you want more info on this type job, there are a few sites on the internet that tell how to change this timing belt.

Joey

Reply to
Joey

I was surprised when I asked dealer to do waterpump at same time (75k miles) - and he said they'd check it and replace if necessary. They said it wasn't necessary but that the oil pump o-ring was leaking so they replaced that. 60k miles later and no water pump problems yet. I has a special offer dealer coupon (check on line) that made the repair ~$200 on a 4 cyl (offer is still available but might have gone up $10-20).

Reply to
Wolfgang

Yeah, a LOT of people recommend replacing the water pump when you do the timing belt.

However, on most of the models I have or have owned, the water pump has NOTHING to do with the timing belt. At all.

The Toys I know about (that I have bought new) are or have been on their original water pumps for over 200,000 miles, except my '80 Corolla SR-5 that needed a new pump at 180,000.

The pump will let you know when it needs replacement. They sound like hell when they're about to let go.

Hachiroku

IT is disingenuous to state water pumps usually fail with lots of noise.

Consider WHY pump bearings fail in the first place. They fail because of lubricant loss. Why does this happen? Typically, the coolant weep hole on the underside of the pump becomes CLOGGED with antifreeze that has leaked past the mechanical seal or between the seal and the pump housing and external dirt. Now you've got a leak that cannot drain so ... this escaped coolant works its way into the two bearings. Guess what happens next?

When the water pump failed on the 90 Prizm at 160k miles, there was no noise. The FIRST clue was a small puddle of coolant on the floor in the morning. The first replacement water pump failed the same way. A small puddle of coolant on the floor in the morning. NEITHER pump was allowed to progress to the point of bearing failure ... which is what you describe.

Most often, replacing the cam belt involves as much labor and going in for only the water pump. But if the dealer can talk you into replacing the pump "only if we find it failing" ... are banking on a failure in the near future than will get you back in for only the pump which ... will make them more money than had you replaced both cam belt and pump when the car was in for only the cam belt.

If I owned an engine with cam belts and a buried water pump, and the belt(s) were ripe for replacement, there is no way I'm not replacing the water pump too since everything is apart just for the belt(s).

Reply to
Philip

Well, all my 'yotas have the water pump right where I can get to them.

Reply to
Hachiroku

What's the latest or last Toyota you bought? Does it have pushrods or rear wheel drive? LOL

Reply to
Philip

The LATEST was the '95 Tercel. We were going to do the water pump...oh, wait, we did...after I sold the car. But, it was hanging right out there in the open, driven by it's own little belt.

All the rest are RWD. That'll give you a hint...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I was quoted a price of 199 to do the belt. They said they would LOOK at the pump but not replace it unless needed. They said the hoses wont need replacing either. I was also quoted 119 for a 3 day weekend rental on a sienna. Those prices are with the discounts. 50 off of the belt job and a service department credit on the rental.

So, not bad. I get to try out the Sienna up to 500 miles and got a good deal on the work. I will probably insist on them replacing the water pump. I can do the hoses later.

How hard is the WP on THIS MODEL?

tanks

CP

Reply to
Charles Pisano

Were I you, I'd insist on and pay the extra for replacement of the waterpump.

Not hard once you take off the same stuff you need to remove to do the timing belt. You can't "look" at a water pump and determine that it's ok. Replace it.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

What model?

Reply to
Ray O

Sorry. didn't realize OP was gone.

Looking forward to trying the sienna and seeing what I get out of a tank of gas. \

They also said the price of the rental would be taken off of the price of a Sienna if I BUY one. That isn't a concession at all really since the price is so arbitrary anyway.. But I guess for the uninitiated it can seem to be. CP

Reply to
Charles Pisano

Also he was talking about cam shaft seals and crank seals? I think is what he said he was going to inspect. He said they go alot on that vehicle. True?

CP

Reply to
Charles Pisano

What vehicle? I'm not aware of any Toyota with a high failure rate on cam shaft and crank shaft seals.

Reply to
Ray O