Tire Inflation Levels

You're welcome; well-deserved.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

I don't know about you but if someone tells me something *might* cause a problem, I might be inclined to just heed their advice and steer clear. For instance, I've read and been told K&N air filters on my Corolla may be a bad idea due to the oil from them contaminating the MAF sensor. That's enough to keep me from probably putting one on my car. That and, I don't really care that much about another 2 or even

20hp. Would be nice but, not at the risk of causing myself other grief.

YMMV.

Reply to
mrsteveo

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Most things that're franchised have rules and guidelines. Failure to uphold those rules and guidelines causes your franchise license to get revoked. I think it's about time that dealers who choose not to follow Toyota's guidelines get their franchise license revoked. If they're going to jack you on the simple things like the proper viscosity oil, I can only imagine what other things they do that Toyota would probably frown upon if they knew.

Reply to
mrsteveo

But I want to hear about the tire inflation levels....so far I haven't heard anything about that.... Amelia

Scott > >

Reply to
Amelia

Here is my original reply to the original post:

50 PSI is way over-inflated. The possible consequences of having your tires over-inflated that much are premature tire wear, harsh ride quality, decreased traction and braking performance, especially in wet and snowy weather, and a tire blowout.

44 PSI is the maximum recommended tire pressure, but the best pressure for your tires is 4 or 5 PSI over the recommended cold tire inflation pressure listed on the driver's door or glove compartment.

Reply to
Ray O

What makes you think that 4 or 5 PSI is better than the recommended cold tire pressure?

jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Experience and the results of a tire survey I once had to do. At the factory recommended tire pressure, the outside shoulders of the tread tend to wear more quickly than the center of the tire, as measured with a tire tread depth gauge. Even wear on the both outside edges of the tread is a classic indicator of an under-inflated tire. Increasing the cold tire pressure by 4 or 5 PSI evens ot tread wear and reduces heat buildup through tread squirm (which prolongs tread life), with the tradeoff being a slightly harsher ride.

Reply to
Ray O

"Ray O" ...

One can verify this with a chalk test, common with those that have Jeeps with different tires than came on the Jeep originally. In that case the sticker on the door becomes moot.

Use chalk and chalk up the bottom of the tire real good, across all of the tread. Then run around a little bit until some of the chalk wears off. Where it does not wear off is not contacting the ground (at least as much). If it wears towards the sides you need more air. Hope this helps, Tomes

Reply to
Tomes