avalon woofer need help! please

hi, my 2000 avalon woofer is rattling, it needs to be replaced, i took out the woofer and looked on it,

power is rated at 26W @ 3.7OHM

i tried to look for some other 8" woofers but everything i see is

200-300w?s i dont think my factory amp can handle this.

I dont see anywhere i can get an oem replacement either besides going to the dealer.

can anyone help me?

Reply to
felixadacatz

Is the cone torn? Are sure it was the woofer and not the cover/grille tor speaker mounting that was rattling?

I am not an audiophile but as I understand it, the power rating on a speaker is the maximum that it can handle. You want to make sure that the speakers can handle the power from the amp, not the other way around. It is important to have the correct impedance so you shouldn't mess with that.

You might want to try Crutchfield's to see what they offer.

Reply to
Ray O

what RAY says. And better worry about the dimensions than power handling capacity. Depth clearance is something many novice overlook.

Reply to
bobb

How about checking a salvage yard for a replacement.

Reply to
Art

Greg.

Reply to
Greg

Yeah. The rating of the speaker SHOULD exceed the rating of the amp. Since the original was 20W, then I would look for a GOOD 100W speaker. What we're really looking for here is NOMinal power. This is the amount of wattage required to run the speaker efficiently. Since the original was rated 20W (and this was probably MAX power) we're looking for a speaker with a NOM of about 10W or less. Going to be tough. Any speaker WILL work, but just not efficiently. Most woofers are a NOM of 20W.

As far as impedance, the original said 3.7 Ohms, a 4 ohm speaker won't upset things. An 8 ohm would work, too, but again efficiency is the thing. Just don't go less than 4 (or 3.7 as the case may be.)

I replaced the speakers in my LHS w/MB Quart 5.25 woofers in the doors and Rockford Fosgate 6X9's in the rear. I was a little concerned about 'upseeting the applecart' because of the Infinity amp, but it sounds great! As long as you stay near the ratings (except for impedance; you want to be at what the originals were...) all you can get is better sound!

Reply to
hachiroku