Toyota LE 4x4 Van

Anyone have any experience -w- these. Aside from being 'fugly' how dependable are they....good points/bad points etc. My neighbor has one in his garage that supposedly runs. I think I can get it for 100-150 bucks. It's a 4x4, automatic and I'm guessing late 80's. The way the driver's seat is situated and the windshield...it looks like it'd be super easy to see what's around you which sounds nice...that's about the only good thing I see so far.

Reply to
samhain005

No personal experience - the only potential problem area I know of on the early Toyota vans is the Accessory Driveshaft from the engine between the seats to the alternator, power steering pump and all that other "stuff" mounted up front. It works fine, but the U-joints and support bearings can go bad with age and be a bit of work to replace, and a few hundred in parts.

Other than that, I see old ones running around all the time. Typical Toyota - takes deliberate neglect or outright abuse to kill 'em.

If it hasn't been sitting for more than a year or so, go charge the battery, dump in a few gallons of fresh gas, check the fluids, put air in the tires, and see if it'll start and run. You might get yourself a deal.

(If it has been sitting without being started for several years, you really need to drain the gas tank first, and take other steps to make sure it's safe to start it up - seek professional help before you just jump in and turn the key, or you could damage something.)

Fugly is a good thing in a car, it means nobody wants to steal it. ;-) Usually gets you lower insurance rates, too.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

They are absolutely terrible. How many miles?

5 Speed?

You give me your e-mail, and a way to get in touch with you/him, I will save you from a poor purchase and take the load on myself!

...hemmmm, let's see; brakes, about $125, clutch, about $90. tires, about $200...yeah, I'll take it...er I will take it off your hands for you!

Seriously, if it has been maintained, it will go 300,000 easily.

And look me up if you don't want it; I really want a 4WD one of these, if it isn't too far (New England) or too rusty.

Reply to
Hachiroku

The Previa is equipped with the SADS (Separated Accessory Drive Shaft) but the previous generation does not have that system. The previous generation is the one that looks like a 2-slice toaster from the side.

Reply to
Ray O

I drove about a dozen different ones.

The driver sits above the front axle so visibility is very good, although ride comfort suffers because movement is like a see-saw.

The automatic 4WD works well and traction is excellent because the van is mid-engined.

AC performance is marginal in stop-and-go traffic and if you do not have the tinted windows.

The optional cooler between the front seats is handy, and the icemaker is a fun conversation piece.

Turning radius was the tightest for Toyotas at the time, perhaps to this day, due to the short wheelbase. The van was originally designed as a delivery vehicle for Japan's congested streets so maneuverability was an important design factor.

Ride comfort is poor due to the short wheelbase.

The bolt that holds the front crankshaft pulley could come loose, causing front seal leakage.

Automatic 4WD LE models had 4 wheel disc brakes, which were advanced for a minivan at that time.

To fill the front windshield washer fluid reservoir, you have to open the driver's door and look at the door jamb. To fill the rear one, open the rear hatch and look at the door jamb.

Reply to
Ray O

"I did not know that..." ;-)

-->--