Toyota versus Chevy

Don't you mean "My two Moms, Toyota, and apple pie from China" The county is going to hell and American consumers do not seem to care that they are sending their children's and grand children's job off shore LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Seems even GOD does not like Toyota trucks, not only American truck buyers LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Cars with the Toyota brand name on the grill has been the number one selling "Brand" of cars for two years, but GM sell far more cars than Toyota or anyone else for that matter. It is just that they have more than on brand name on the grill.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Have you checked the price of a Toyota radio, or any other Toyota part for that matter? Me thinks you simply need to take you car to a radio shop and have the bulb replaced LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Got an 06 Pontiac Grand Prix, myself, along with a 98 GP GTP. Both are wonderful cars. Very dependable. Bought both new, and have had few problems, NONE of which would be considered to be the type to affect the dependability, whatsoever. The 06 has NEVER been to the garage, other to change the oil three times.

Just took the 06 on a 400 mile trip this past weekend. The computer calculated the trip to average 31.3 MPG. I checked when I got home and filled back up and calculated that the on board computer was, indeed, accurate. I also should mention that during the trip, I set my cruise control at 75 MPH.

Now, trying to compare the Corolla and it's 41 MPG (at 65 MPH, which I guess would drop considerably if it were driven at 75 MPH) with my GP, is not really fair, as you are trying to compare two different types of cars, but, I'll try, anyway:

Based on the MPG's of the two cars, it would have costed me about 8 dollars more than the Corolla. (Based on gasoline being 3.00 a gallon)

But, I would have, based on the averaged speeds given for the posted gas mileage, have traveled the 400 miles nearly a full hour quicker than the slower, but more fuel effecient, Toyota, certainly worth more than the 8 dollars I would have saved if I bought a Toyota, and then slowed down.

I also could have seated five passengers more confortably and loaded their luggage easier than the Toyota could.

And, if I needed to get to my destination even more quickly, my 200 horsepower 3.8 V-6 could do the job.

Do I need to add that the car is a whole lot nicer looking than the Toyota?

Dont know how you drove the Impala, but I bet it had to be considerably differently than the way you drive your Toyota. My "98 GTP will CONSISENTLY average 27.5-28 MPG highway when driven at 80 miles per hour. Has done it since I bought it new, nearly 9 and a half years ago. If I slow it down to 70, my milage has no trouble hitting

30 MPG, or even slightly better. Your Impala, I'm sure, had the 3.8 V-6, minus the supercharger my GTP has.
Reply to
coachrose13

Just out of curiosity, which "problem" do you consider the worst, and more likely to make you consider changing models, the 87 Celica power antnenna rusting/seizing, or the radio problems on your Montana?

Reply to
coachrose13

You need to call your nearest GM regional rep as soon as possible and explain what's going on. I bet if what you are saying is true and you explain that your local dealer is trying to charge you 400 dollars for a 20 cent part, and that you are considering buying a Toyota next time, he'll be more than glad to help you.

Reply to
coachrose13

You gotta watch these Toyota guys. They are not content to stay in their own group and sing the praises of these masterpieces, they have to come over to the GM group, and BTW, while they are there, take the opportunity to bash GM cars.

Have owned numerous GM cars and trucks over the past 31 years, and have never had even one to be unreliable in any way. Of course, if I didnt like them to begin with, I might look for an excuse to not buy one, maybe such as a radio light not working correctly.

Reply to
coachrose13

I phoned GM Canada. The lady on the phone, after hearing the details, explained that the van was out of warranty (distance, not months, as if that should affect a radio) and asked "what are you expecting GM to do"? I said that I just wanted a radio with a display that worked for the duration of my lease, and if I have to finish out my lease with a bum radio, they can forget calling me to ask if I'm ready to get into a new lease.

I subsequently sh> >> Well, my Pontiac dealer wants $400 to replace my radio as the solution

Reply to
Pat Coghlan

The display problem is worse. I have to look at it every day and can't see the time or the station info, most of which is on the LHS - where the light went out.

The antenna seized after the second winter, so I just disconnected the power and left it up. Not a problem except if I wanted to drive through a car wash, and I always used a gun. Replacing the module would have cost maybe $60, not $400.

Reply to
Pat Coghlan

You are making the erroneous assumption that Toyota's never suffer from the same sort of display failure. The same people that will fix your GM Radio for $50 will fix your Toyota radio for $75.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

You sound like my father, he tells me how reliable all his Chevy's are constantly. When I bring up the new engine and two transmission in

130,000 miles on his previous truck he has no answer. No answer as well to the 3 complete brake jobs, or transmission problems with his 01 Silverado at ~80000 miles.

My definition of reliable is quite different from his.

Brent

I have a 03 Max that I would guess is bigger on the inside although perhaps a couple of inches shorter on the outside. Should be a fair comparison.

I can get about 480 miles on 14G on the highway thanks to my tall 6th gear. That's somewhere ~34 mpg using cruise control.

Well my car has the 3.5 VQ motor that is the only motor to be listed by Ward's as a top ten engine every year they have had the award. No other engine has done that. I also have 255/245 HP/TQ to pull me to ~14.3 1/4 miles and low 6 second 0-60's. My car also has a Helical LSD so that I have almost no torque steer even on very aggressive launches and helps me get full acceleration through the corners. My car will easily sit 5 with full legroom in the backseat even with my seat all the way back. Huge trunk.

Can you even get a manual transmission with a GP? No sedan can be considered *sport* without one IMO. I wouldn't buy a car that wasn't manual.

Looks are purely subjective, the GP's are OK, but they are no Infiniti G35. Now that's a sexy damn car. And my next purchase ;-) 07 Sport

6M.....sweet ass ride. b
Reply to
Brent

At 75, the corolla probably does about 36-37 mpg or so.. At 70, about

38-39.. But I usually can't drive that fast legally, and I don't speed as I can't afford tickets. The 65 mph was the speed limit at night for TX interstates. And the cops were like hovering flies this past weekend.... :( The only highway I could legally do 75 on is the OK turnpike, but I don't take that route normally.. I did once though when I had to look at some other property down in East TX. I did 75, and got about 36-37 mpg I guess. I didn't watch it real close that time.

Time can be money for some.. For me, I'm just going to my playland, so I'm in no big rush..

So will mine though.. I can go much faster than 75 if I wanted to.. Course, the mpg will drop... But... So will yours..

Maybe.. I've never really seen one...

Nope, exactly the same.. I drive all cars exactly the same.. If I had a corvette, I would still drive 65 at night in I-45... Like I say, I don't need the highway patrol delaying my trip and taking my money.. :/

Yep, it was a V6.. It was a "sporty version" Impala with the spoiler on the trunk, etc, but nothing special as far as the engine. I never drove the Impala faster than 70... Can't where I drive, unless you want tickets.. But even if it did 30 mpg, which is fairly good for a mid size car, it's still not what I wanted.. I like the extra 10 mpg... But on the highway at 70, the impala used to read right at 27 mpg on the little overhead computer up on the ceiling. I never saw it get any higher. The actual measurements came out about the same. Myself, it doesn't matter to me.. I'm not a GM basher or anything. I've had several of them. I ran a monte carlo for 12 years and never had any trouble. But you have to consider another thing... How much did you pay for your cars? I paid 9200.00 + tax for the corolla. Wouldn't surprise me if you paid a good bit more than that. I may not have the room, looks, etc that you do, but I probably didn't pay as much either. My car was cheap enough I was able to pay cash.. It was paid for when I drove it home. Thats a good feeling... :) MK

Reply to
nm5k

========

I remember reading that the best year ever for the Impala was 1965. In that year, roughly one million units were sold in the United States--a U.S. record that has stood since.

I don't recall the exact figure--may have been 900,000-plus. Do you think the Camry will ever reach a million like the 1965 Impala? It's possible. Last year, roughly 500,000 Camrys were sold (478,000 or so).

My dad owned 2 Impalas in the 1970's, both V8's. They were beasts back then.

Reply to
Built_Well

My dad bought a brand new 1965 impala off the showroom floor. It was a 4 door "Sport Sedan" with the pillarless side windows, and a different slightly sportier roofline than the standard impala, which had a more rounded back window look, and had side pillars. It had the brand new 396 engine. It was a nice car, and would run like a scalded house cat. Back then, all the gas stations were full serve, and most checked the oil, etc every time. All the gas jockeys would ogle that 396.. They were used to the usual 327's, etc..

Anyway, that car ended up being my first car when I started driving. And I often made use of it's scalded house cat personality. :) At high speeds, it was like driving a mild stock car, and it sounded like one too. It didn't even get kicked into gear until you were over 100 mph, and then it got a 2nd wind and started sounding like a race car. :) The only other car I had that was faster was a 1970 LaSabre with a 455. That 455 was an awesome engine. Best V8 in the west as far as I'm concerned. I remember one time right after we got the 65 Impala.. We were traveling from AR to OK one time, and a fairly new 64 ford Galaxy with a 390 pulled along side and wanted to make a run... "They would see the 396 flag emblem on the front fender" Well, my dad took him up on it, and started pressing the pedal down. We ran maybe for a mile or so, and pretty much smoked that ford.. It gave it a good run, but just couldn't hang with that 396 when it came to the higher rev ranges.

Dunno, there are so many brands and models now, it may be spread out too much..

We had a few others.. I know I had a 68 with a 327 at one time.. We had a lot of monte carlos through the years.. A 72, 75, 77, 81.. Also a regal and a cutless of the same style too.. I liked the regal with the 231 V6.. Pretty good driving car when it was new. It was a

78 or 79 I think.. We also had 61, 62, 63 chevies, but they were biscaynes I think and the 63 was a bel air.. Back then they were easiliy spottable as only the impalas had three tailights per side, vs the biscayne and bel air's two. Back then, cars made more of a change every year than they do now.. IE: a 2003 -2007 corolla is about the same thing.. Don't look much different at all. Wasn't that way back then, and the usual Sept-Oct new car debut was always a big deal to see what was different. Now.. yawn... :/ MK
Reply to
nm5k

A Navy buddy of mine was one of the million. He bought one in 1965. Nice car.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

The Chevelle SS 396 was pretty awesome...

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I have a friend that makes exactly the same excuses for his Toyotas. He has owned two small Toyota trucks. The first one required two transmission rebuilds and one engine overhaul in less than 150,000 miles. His current one has made it to 140,000 miles and so far has only needed one replacement engine. And yet, he still raves about the of Toyotas. To be honest the current truck is pretty old (early 90's), but still needing an engine replaced in less than 150,000 is not a good sign.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I have the 4.0L version of the Nissan DOHC V-6 in my Frontier. I am unimpressed. I can out drag race most other pick-ups, but the engine is ridiculously "peaky." No problem buring the tires down to the rims, but just try to start off with a load in a field - thank goodness for

4WD and limited slip, otherwise the truck would just bury one wheel. My Father's old Ranger has a better "truck" engine. Maybe in a car for boy racers it is acceptable to have an engine tuned like a F1 motor, but in the real world, it seems silly. I want effortless acceleration, not noise and smoke. I am stuck with the Frontier for at least another year (and probably 10), but I do wish I'd spent the extra money and bought a Tacoma instead, or spent a lot less and bought a Ranger.

I am through with manuals (unless I get a Honda S2000). What is the advantge of a manual over an automatic that allows manual selection of gears?

I am not a GM guys (and really not a Pontiac guy). However, on a recent vacation in Texas we rented a Grand Prix with the supercharged

3.8L V-6. I was very impressed. Terrific power, extremely quiet. The gas mileage was decent (considering I was driving 80 most of the time - except when we were in the mountains). I found the seats very comfortable. The rear seat was good too, although most of the time there was only one person back there. I hated the red/orange displays, and the car's appearance was not to my taste. All in all, I'd say it was a really good car, certainly the best rental car I every had. I am not planning on buying one, but I think anyone who is looking for a car of that sort (an over done pretentious "sports sedan") should try one.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White