Troubleshooting non-starter

Hi Folks,

I have a 1996 Toyota Camry that until today only needed a new battery (bought last year). Approx. 80,000 miles.

When I turn the key the engine does not turn over. There is a barely audible click and that's about it.

Here are some possible clues:

- Lights can come on , but I don't want to push my luck there.

- Wipers start to move but barely.

- Car started after receiving a boost

- Left car running for an hour

- Turned off engine

- Waited a minute and tried to start, won't start (same as above)

Can someone tell me what are the most likely causes of the problem?

TIA Ric

Reply to
google3luo359

Pop-N-Fresh

Thanks Pop. Just some clarification. I'm the original owner. Bought the car in '96. Bought the new battery one year ago.

But as you say it's possible the battery could be going bad already.

A few more possible clues I forgot to mention:

- horn works

- there was a 5-10 second delay for the lights to come on and turn off.

- the engine warning light had been turning on, and remained on for almost a year when the car started. I checked it out several months ago; it was for an O2 sensor. Yesterday I noticed (when the car had been boosted and was charging) that the engine light didn't come on.

Thanks again! Ric

Reply to
google3luo359

The most likely causes of the problem are a bad battery or bad connections at the battery. Make sure the battery clamps are tight and free from any buildup on the battery posts. If you have an electrical multi-meter (can be purchased at Radio Shack or automotive parts stores for around $20), measure the voltage between the positive and negative battery terminals while the engine is running. If it measures around 14.4 volts then the alternator is OK and the battery is suspect.

Some automotive service centers and parts stores will do a charging system diagnosis for little or not charge. I advise having this done to avoid unnecessarily replacing parts.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks Ray! It looks like you were correct with you diagnosis. I was able to take it in to a shop today. The one mechanic in today was lined up with other jobs but some other helpers were able to test out the battery. With the engine running it was showing just a few volts! They said my problem was likely the bad battery. I had goofed a bit with my battery estimate. I checked my receipt and I bought the battery 22 months ago instead of 12 months ago.

I didn't have the time to go through other tests today (was there more than 1.5 hours). I asked how long I'd have to wait to see if it might be the alternator. They said I'd know within a few days.

So if it starts for the next week can I rule out everything else?

Couple of other things. My radio attenae became crooked soon after I bought my car and had trouble retracting and opening fully. I have tried to straighten it a few times. Currently it will retract with about 4 or 5 inches of antennae showing. Can that cause any battery drain?

The engine light (O2 sensor) that was coming on for the past year now isn't coming on. Is that because the weak battery reset everything? My clock and radio needed to be reset.

Thanks! Ric

Reply to
google3luo359

If the car starts for the next week, everything should be set.

A bent antenna should not cause a battery drain because the antenna motor has a timer that shuts it off to prevent the motor from burning out or from draining the battery.

One way to clear trouble codes is disconnecting the battery. If the problem still exists, it will probably come back on in a few days.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks very much Ray for your help/info. I really appreciate it.

Ric

Reply to
google3luo359

You're welcome! Let us know how everything turns out.

Reply to
Ray O