'00 transmission question

00 Camry, 4 cyl.

The transmission feels odd when the A/C is running. No slipping at speed, just the shifts sometimes feel funky and the car seems to lunge through them. It has slipped 2 times over 2 months going from a deas stop, but in both cases it was a quick hit of the gas after shifting into drive.

I'm obviously going in to a toyota dealer for a looksie. I was just wondering what to expect, so I can arm myself with knowledge.

any takers?

(if this seems familiar, yes this is a followup with more info to a previous post a month or so ago, I'm heading in for a diagnostic and flush/fill/screen cleaning)

Reply to
ItchyStiches

How do you know its slipping? A slipping trans makes a loud, short, groaning sound as the brake-band slips aginst its drum while engine torque is high, for example on take-off.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Ah well, what happens is I shift from park to drive, hit the gas, and the engine revs up a bit before drive engages and it jerks. It's only done it 3 times in 3 months, and if I shift into drive and allow a little extra pause before proceeding, it never does it.

kl

Reply to
Mr. Ballstitch

OK.,..thats different and as far as my knowledge allows, can mean a sluggish valve or a little lag-time in the oil-pump to provide enough pressure to execute the change. The fact the AC was on may mean the engine speed had lowered (under the extra load of driving the AC compressor) instead of self adjusting which it should do. This would lower the trans oil-pump performance. Finally,..has the trans been serviced? Brake-band and clutch material can start to clog the filter in the trans oil-pan.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

I had a flush at 30,60,90 and it is currently at 96.

The dealer drove it and said it seems to shift fine for them, nothing unusual. I'm not sure if I was unlucjy and they didnt catch it, or if I am just paranoid. They checked the fluid via the dipstick and said it seems fine, no change needed immediately. But without dropping the pan I'm not sure they can really tell anything. So I guess other than the slip, which hasn't happened recently since I am nice to it, I'm not sure what to think.

Reply to
Mr. Ballstitch