02 Camry ATF change

Does anyone know when to change 02 Camry v6 tranny ATF, I searched its service schedule a few times, but didn't see any thing regard normal driving except servere condition. Any idea?

John

Reply to
John

ALL and ANY transmission oils should be changed at 50,000kms intervals.Read the service shedule , then ignore it, spend the time and just do it. regards, dave

Reply to
videokid400

Reply to
Wolfgang

Go with the severe service schedule should help the tranny last longer. (The post 02-06 generation have a shudder problem during 4-

I think the 02 gets the Type-IV synthetic ATF. So it's going to cost a bit more.

Reply to
johngdole

i change trans fluid at every oil change.

Isn't that a waste of money?

Reply to
EdV

Thoroughly changed (as in flushed)? Or a simple drain-and-fill (leaving oh, what, 60-70% of the old fluid in the torque converter, etc.) every 50k kms ok?

mrdarrett

Well lets see , im looking at a 1l bottle of CASTROL TQ88 TRANSMISSION OIL(at least thats what the label says).Looks viscus , guess id go with the manufac and call it oil. I also buy 205l drums of MTQ 12 mitsubishi ATF and they call it fluid, so I guess is a moot point. Yes SOME manufacturers are coming out with sealed transmissions,And they are designed not to have fluid swaps,you will VERY RARLEY drive one with over 45000kms on it and not get a fault code from the trans when on a scan tool.So they are a good thing ??? well I wonder, all that I have seen can be toped up or changed,lets face it its only a matter of removing a cooling line,reverse flushing and re fill via same method using correct quantity.

And no I mean a complete flush, changing the trans only is just a complete waste of time and money.contaminents from the converter will enter immediatley. dave.

Reply to
videokid400

And for North America that's 50k "Miles" ? I believe in replacing the ATF as factory recommendation and its funny the 07 Camry manual says you have to change ATF only under severe driving conditions... Is this some typo or what??

Reply to
EdV

When I worked for a Used Car Dealer, we had the trannies on two cars flushed, one at ~80,000 miles, and one at 110,000 miles. Both trannies failed within MILES after being flushed!

Flushing is only good for a tranny that has been religiously maintained! Otherwise, drain and fill every 30-50,000 miles. As Ray O says in the other Toyota forum, replacing 8-12 quarts of Tranny fluid replenished the oils and detergents, so the protection is there.

I plan on doing a service to my Supra sometime soon. It doesn't shift by itself because of a broken speedo cable and no readings from two of the soleniods. I'm not looking forward to it. It is working OK now; it moves the car. I'm afraid that by servicing it I'll remove too much of the material suspended in the old fluid that is making it move! But, I gotta do something!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Probably not, if it's a drain-and-fill. I've been doing it around every oil change, too, on my '96.

assumptions: total fluid reservoir volume (4-cylinder, '96): 5.9 qt amount of fluid changed: 1.7 qt amount remaining after first drain-and-fill: (5.9-1.7) / 5.9 = 0.71 =

71% old fluid remaining continuing the calculations,

changeout 1 71% changeout 2 51% changeout 3 36% changeout 4 26% changeout 5 18% changeout 6 13% changeout 7 9% changeout 8 7% changeout 9 5%

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Great idea - lets push all that crap you're talking about back through the system.

Wouldn't it be better to flush in the same direction as the fluid travels?

Reply to
FantomFan

i don't think so. transmissions are expensive. $ 5 for trans fluid. under there anyway to drain oil.

Reply to
wp51dos

How did we come up with this? by changing the atf 9 times the fluid is new is that what you are saying?? (now beating my head against large rock) dave

Reply to
videokid400

Yes it is a great idea, Most trans flush machines use the same principal.....ours works like this (Trans Tech 4400)..evac 's ALL old fluid from the trans ,cycles about 1l of fluid through in flow direction, times out, and then cycles another litre in reverse direction , the prosess in then repeated.and before we all jump up and down about that being a waste of fluid , the flush fluid is recycled through a series of 2000 micron filters.I reuse the fluid four times.NEVER HAD a problem with this method.we would do about 20 to 25 a month. dave

Reply to
videokid400

Yeah, huh... after changing fluid around 10 times, should be as good as doing a single flush. It's a continuous process - by the time you've changed 9-10 times, you've got new contaminants generated since the 1st flush.

;-)

Then again, it's supposed to be gentler on the transmission than a power flush, right...?

I did the math awhile ago, when I had a lot more free time - not sure I have enough brain cells left to re-derive it. (Maybe someone else can post the proof, and/or point out any errors I may have made...? ;-)

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Ah yes. I remember now. Even better, I remember how to explain it simply.

First changeout, 0.71 of the original fluid remains. (1-0.71, or

0.29, of the fluid is discarded.) Second changeout, once the fluid is mixed, you keep 0.71 of that. 0.71 x 0.71 = 0.51. Third one, you keep 0.71 of that. 0.71 x 0.71 x 0.71 = 0.36. ... Tenth one, 0.71 ^ 10 = 0.033 of the original fluid remaining. You never quite get to 0.00. But you can get awfully close.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

I just want to be clear on if we are speaking of the same terms drain and fill?, is sucking out the ATF from the dipstick using some sort of pump. flushing? as mentioned by dave, oils is completely sucked out by some pump, and you dont use new oil but just filter away the dirt and grime and pump the filtered oil back in. torque converter is not included overhaul? is opening up the transmission cleaning the whole system and even replacing the filter/strainer. torque converter is included

Reply to
EdV

I'd thought "Drain and Fill" simply involved removing the 10mm hex nut on the bottom of the tranny pan, then filling from the dipstick.

Are you saying, more liquid can be drained by inserting a tube down the dipstick line, then sucking (with a vacuum pump, say)?

What would be the point of filtering the fluid as it circulates? Not sure fine metal particles can be filtered out so quickly. Why not simply change it - then, if you really have to, filter the removed liquid at your leisure, then re-use at a later date?

I don't yet feel comfortable disconnecting the ATF coolant line going to the radiator, turning on the engine, and filling / emptying that way - guess I'm still a "beginner", then. ;-) Is that standard procedure for ATF flushes?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

That is what I though,t as the suspended materials in the ATF drives the tranny as others earlier posted. But I guess it's my mistake as that kind of procedure is mostly done on the brake fluids and power steering fluids.

I am a little clueless with the A/T, I consider this job as an advanced repair and have not yet tried doing it by myself.

Reply to
EdV