160 Point Certified Inspection -- Do They Cheat?

I am not naturally of a suspicious nature, but if I buy a Certified Pre-owned Toyota, am I entitled to see the 160 point inspection sheet with the initials of the technician indicating that he actually checked off on each applicable inspection point?

How do I know it's not just a sales gimmick?

Should I be suspicious if, for example, the battery posts are cruddy with corrosion?

Are there any documented cases of Toyota dealerships cheating or cutting corners with the inspection just so they can charge the customer some extra dollars?

Reply to
Dean Jann

When I bought my 99 camry CE new, I insisted on getting a copy of the PDI. After much muttering, and complaining how difficult this would be as the vehicle was brought in from another dealer 200 miles away (WOW, almost Tokyo!!!) they did supply it. There was writing on the margin indicating that the "remote" dealer wanted a freebie lunch from my local dealer because of the effort required.

Reply to
sharx35

The "certification" is simply a warranty; if you develop problems it's the dealer's responsibility to fix them (unless he can get out of it through clauses in the fine print, which happens a lot). It doesn't mean that much more time was spent on your car than on an uncertified one, no matter what the glossy brochure says. A lot of those 160 points are stuff like: has mirrors? check! has tires? check! etc.

-- ... "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."

- Some wisdom from The Book.

Reply to
Nobody Important

The FEW times I have taken my car into the dealer for repair, I think they do a 160 point inspection, just looking for things they think they can talk me into having repaired....LOL

EVERY time they want to replace the cabin filter for $54....despite the fact I check it on a regular basis and can buy an aftermarket Bosch filter for $24 and spend four minutes replacing it myself....

Reply to
timbirr

$24 or $54? Nae, laddie, this frugal Scot found the cabin filter, washed it, dried it and put it back in place free for nothing gratis. (and it was pretty clean to start with, because I don't travel the dirt roads.)

Reply to
mack

It's a little like the many things that Toyota (and other cars') dealers do in these periodic maintenance inspections...like tightening the door hinges. Funny, but in over 25 cars that I've owned, I've never had one where the door was in any danger of falling off.

A lot of this stuff is eyewash, pure and simple. But God forbid that they should find something that does (or might) need replacing, because you'll find yourself a paraplegic, because they'll charge an arm and a leg.

Reply to
mack

I live out in the woods and the mice tend to like to make their nests on top of them....and chew holes in them...and abandon dead baby mice on them.....

So, I tend to replace, them...tho. at times I have used duct tape to patch the rips if there were no dead babies and the holes are not too extensive

Reply to
spswanson

Do you notice how nicely the check marks line up on the inspection sheet? They might as well draw a straight line down. It first started as a marketing thing. Check the tires -- that's a 4 point inspection. Wipers -- that's 2 points. All windows are there -- 6 point inspection, etc etc.

I just don't think a dealer will buy any used car without doing a minimum check. So the point is moot. But like the others said, if you have to pay a higher price, then they should give you a better warranty. So "certified used" is like saying you'll pay more for extra warranty. I personally don't think the tech will spend the time to actually check all 160 points, even when you take it in for normal maintenance.

Reply to
johngdole