1984 Camry Radiator Fans problem

I have a 1984 Camry SV11 Hatch back. Both the radiator fans stopped working even if the air cond is on. Under the bonet, there is a box with all the relays and fuses and 3 of the relays are marked Fan 1, Fan 2 and Fan 3. I am guessing it is one of these Relay but not exactly sure which one. Can any one help or recommend other Forums or Links I can go to for information. PS. I beleived this model was imported. Will post photo if needed.

Thank you all.

Reply to
Tino

Owner's manual should list them all. Plus there should be another sensor in the bottom radiator tank.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

These are also controlled by a relay and a thermostat. The thermostat kicks and kicks the relay on. I can't remember the wiring for this car, but you can bypass all of this so the fans are on anytime the ignition is on, or you can do what a friend did and wire a new relay and a switch inside the car. Nicer to have it go on by itslef, but we don't want to be overheating, do we? ;)

Or, find a fuse inside the engine compartment that only comes on when the ignition is on, or the motor is running, and tap the new fan relay into this.

Good luck...

Reply to
HachiRoku

Reply to
Tino

That's the temperature sensor. The default, (when you disconnect it) is on, to help prevent a failure in overheating. If disconnecting that sensor causes the fans to come on, seems to indicate the other wiring in the circuit is good. Actually, those fans don't have to come on very often. I only see them operating after some time of idling in very hot weather, but if yours _never_ come on, try replacing that sensor.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Yeah, what he said! ;)

Or, if the fans are off when the car is off, just leave it disconnected. Having the fans run all the time isn't really going to hurt anything.

BTW, do you live in a 'temperate' climate, where the temp gets below 40Fon a regular basis (or in the winter...I could actually *stand* 40F right now...) If you do, it will take a *long* time for the car to warm up, not a good thing if it does get cold.

I don't know how much that sensor will cost, but bear in mind, it's a Toyota part ;(

Reply to
HachiRoku