1986 Camry Engine Advice

Hello, I have an '86 2.0 2SELC Camry with about 159,000 miles. The car ran great before I parked do to a suspension problem I didn't have the money to fix at the time. The car was parked roughly 3 years (big mistake). I have just recently gotten the suspension problem fixed, put new tires and brakes on, had the old gas flushed out and a new fuel filter installed and I replaced the plugs. I had just had the valve seals replaced before the car was parked (which fixed a minor smoking problem I had). The problem I'm having now is the engine is running like a beast. Gas is mixing with the oil and it's smoking a good bit. It will run and get me around town but with little power and a rough ride. I do need to get a broken motor mount replaced so that doesn't help. My wife wants me to say goodbye to the car but I want to exhaust my options first. I'm guessing the rings have dried out and shrunken. I do know that the gas was like sludge when it was drained out. I have put several additives in the tank (injector cleaners and rubbing alcohol) to try to clean the injectors but it hasn't helped much. Does my engine have a chance of survival? I keep looking for a cost effective solution short of an engine remanufacture but I'm not a mechanic. I'm sure I need new spark wires, cap and a rotor button but I need help on how what else I need to do to get this running good again.

Thanks! Matt

Reply to
fire

If the engine sat for 3 years,..it sounds like the rings probably rusted to their respective bores, which means the engine was siezed,...then when you cranked it the rings broke with possible piston ring-land damage hence the smoke now.

Get the engine compression tested. If the comps are very low, it will be a strip down job.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Sometimes rings will stick to pistons when they sit for extended periods. You might be able to get them to release by removing spark plugs and pouring trans fluid into each cylinder and let it sit overnight. Trans fluids have a lot of cleaners in them that aren't detergents so they are good for this. There are top engine cleaners that might help also, GM brand is one of the best. These steps are usually done on an engine that's sat for extended period before starting because as Jason posted you can break a ring if it's stuck to a piston when starting. If you can manage to pour trans fluid in intake with engine running it might unstick a ring also, I've gotten stuck valves to release this way on carberated engines. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92