1986 Toyota Camry LE: 2 questions

  1. The dome light will not come on when the door is opened when the switch is set to "Door." It will work when switched to "On" so we know that the light is not burnt out. Tried cleaning the contacts but no dice.

  1. We cannot find the fuse for the air conditioning. According the manual, it is located behind the passenger's side kick panel. However, there no such panel on the passenger's side. At least, there is no easily removable cover like the one on the driver's side. Does the entire passenger kick panel assembly have to be removed?

We are trying to determine if the air conditioning unit is functioning properly and/if the cooling system need to be recharged. In 1997, the system was recharged with the newer, less environmentally damaging coolant. Anyone know how long it lasts?

Thanks very much!

Dave S.

Reply to
Xenobuzz
1 your door switch is bad. 2 There are fuses behind the passenger kick panel but my manual says they are the Heater Relay, Circuit breaker- for what it doesnt say but it should be the fan. Cruise control, and seat belt warning relay. There is a 10a AC fuse but it shows it on an 87, but this Haynes manual is not always correct, did you check next to the battery, the fuse bank. If it is a breaker it might be able to be reset, Is power going to the compressor?
Reply to
m Ransley

How did you check the pin switches at the doors? Try touching the lead to ground and see if the light comes on, then clean the contacts with WD-40.

Chances are you're low on refrigerant. Have that checked first - which would explain why the A/C doesn't switch on if there's not enough pressure.

Switching to 134a can present a host of other problems, and even if you change over everything, air won't be as cold as with your R-12 unless the entire system was designed for it to start. Actually the 134a is more environmentally friendly but less efficient thermally.

Reply to
Daniel