1999 Beetle Dome Light Problem

The dome light will not come on when I open the drivers side door on my 1999 VW Beetle. It will come on when I open the passenger side door. There must be a sensor or a switch inside the door or door handle that is not functioning but I cannot find it. Can anyone help? Thanks

Reply to
rln

Sounds like the door latch unit that is built into the door is the source of your problems...usually a part that you need to get from the dealer...expect to pay about $150-200 for the part.

- Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

I haven't done it personally, but I have seen it done...basically requires the removal of the door panel, unclipping the wiring harness from the latch, undoing a few bolts to reomve the latch and reversing the procedure to put everything back together....not to hard...

- Pete

dealer...expect

Reply to
Pete Cressman

They don't use those little microswitches built into the door frame anymore, that wouldn't cost more then a couple bucks?

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Sad but true...

There are no door mounted microswitchs.

- Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

You forgot to mention that the window regular carrier needs to come of first as the latch is attached to it!

Reply to
Woodchuck

True enough....I forgot about that...

oops...