Toyota Cressida

I've got a 1991 Cressida. Most times the transmission shifts out fine, but sometimes it shifts very erratic. A service bulletin I've located advises to run a new groundwire from chassis to the ECT ECU ground. Can you tell me where it is located? Is it the same as the engine ECU?

Reply to
jimleverett28

No.

Chances are, it is to be found behind the passenger's side kick panel, secured with a 10mm nut. Remove the nut, remove the trim panel from the door jamb and remove the kick panel. The ECT should be behind it.

Also, chances are that replacing the bolt with a new nut and bolt and a star washer will probably solve your problem.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I've had that kick panel off, it's pretty stuffed back there, could you describe it? I'll be anxious to look again.

Reply to
jimleverett28

The engine and transmission ECU are both about the size of a paperback, silver in color.

Reply to
Ray O

I wasn't able to find any components behind the kick panel that looks anything like that. I looked again above the glove compartment. No luck. (only the engine ECU). Took the center console out, found a plastic device named "ECT shift solenoid". I still have the erratic shifting, seems to be worsening, and more troubling after engine warmup. Anything you can tell me will be appreciated. That email is jimleverett28@

Reply to
jimleverett28

It's behind the glove compartment. Remove the glove compartment door, then remove the clove compartment. It's 1 and 1"inch thick and larger than a paperback book.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

It has three connectors coming out of it, right? That's the engine/transmission ECU.

That changes the shift points.

You have transmission issues. To be sure, disconnect the wires at the transmission. (The connectors are just even with where the transmission and engine joine.

It'll go into a sort of manual mode called "limp home mode". IF the shifting is just as bad, you need to get it rebuilt or replaced.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

The ECU above the glove compartment on my car has a tag that is stamped "engine ECU". Behind the glove compartment is all plastic A/C and heater components.

Reply to
jimleverett28

It has three harnesses, right? The cressida's ECU combines engine and transmisson controls into one TCCS ECU

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Let me make sure I understand, disconnect the three connectors coming from the side of the transmission up toward the wiring harness in the engine compartment and test drive it? Thanks for your patients, in the "limp home mode" should it shift somewhat normal, just not erratic?

Reply to
jimleverett28

BTW, do you have the Toyota Repair Manual? If not, I'll post the diagnostic steps to let the TCCS tell you if IT think's something is wrong. Also, is the OD light blinking when you have the OD switch in the normal position?

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Yeah. But I'd try reading the TCCS codes first.

Right.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

It doesn't have the "TCCS" that I know of. Is that the diagnostic system? On my car the only manual I have has me to jumper the test connector and check OD light and it flashes continuously, it doesnt see a problem.

Reply to
jimleverett28

That's just what the ECU is called on a Cressida.

Drag. Then chances are you're losing the tranny. That was the test I was going to recommend.

So now disconnect the connectors I referred to. Then drive it. You'll need to shift with the shifter to get an idea if it changes proplerly.

If it seems "better" with the electronics off, then it's likely the ecu. If it seems the same or a bit worse, it's the tranny.

Remember when you reconnect the wires, you'll need to clear the ECU codes.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Thanks for your assistance. I have never found a Haynes or Chilton for that car. Have one for Supra and older Cressida's and vans. Based on what you've said, the xmission ECU and the engine ECU are the same unit, and it's above the glove compartment? Seems I may have to breakdown and take my car to the shop.

Reply to
jimleverett28

Go to Toyota. Buy the REAL Cressida Repair Manual.

Or just pay someone else to work on your car.

Yes.

Or, go to your local salvage yard. You've got a 7MGE engine, I assume, so the tranny is quite common. $350 or $400 with a torque converter. (DON'T buy it without the torque converter)

Install it yourself. It'll take ya a day if you've never done it before. It's really not hard.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore