1992 Camry 6 cyl XLE stalls

Hi,

I am having a problem which I tried to search for but no related topic found.

My car has 162k miles, we've had it since 86k miles, most of these miles have been highway miles (from 86k to today)

Whenever I out the car in reverse the RPM drops and sometimes the engine stalls. Sometimes even when stopped, idleing, the engine stalls. Showed to to a few mechanics, everyone say something new, this

stupid mechanic just raised the idle causing higher RPM and high fuel consumption, even harder to brake!! despite him raising the RPM, its still stalling sometimes in reverse and at traffic lights, I have to shift it into neutral.

I have noticed that as soon as I start the car for the 1st time in the day, I dont have this problem for some time, as soon as I have driven it for a while, it starts stalling!!! so basically in the first 10-15 mins in the morning or initial driving, it usually does not cause trouble! later in the day or driving after the intial 10-15 mins it causes this problem!

I hope I have elaborated enough and I hope somone can give me some advice.

Thanks

Mehdi

Reply to
mehdi.jaffer

The coil under the distributor cap is bad but cleaning it of oil residue might be enough. It is a real common camry issue/

Reply to
m Ransley

The EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve maybe admitting too much exhaust after warm-up. The EGR does not start working until engine warm-up. EGR has been around since the mid '70s as an emmision reducer on all types of car engines.

Not sure where or what it looks like on the early V6, but it apparently has a plunger which you can observe or 'feel' it operating, which opens the valve to admit exhaust (a small amount) during certain inlet manifold pressure conditions to help with emmisions. It will most likely be a bulbous looking unit with a vacuum line to it and a pipe to the exhaust. It will also have access to the throttle-body or inlet manifold.

I got this info by simply putting the year, "V6", "Camry" and "stalling" into google. You'll get 100s of hits, most of which will not be helpful, but there will be some that will. Happy hunting!

------

Full article:Engine Won't Start Happens sometimes Not applicable

Q: Ive been having problems with my 99 Camry 4 cyl lately. When started (mostly when engines warm already i.e after running an errand and getting back in car), the engine will crank over fine, then RPMS will drop really low to about 200-400, then most of the time it will die. one other thing happened, in the morning when engine was cold, it struggled to crank for about 5 seconds, sound like it was suffocating, then i release the key, and it idled to 200 RPM and died. BUT that only happened ONCE. Car has 65 k and people tell me its possibly an EGR VALVE! could this possibly be the case?

A: Your EGR is the problem with the erratic idle. However, this should not be effecting the cold starting as you have described.

Having both of these problems together, without looking at the car, my first guess would be the EGR (find it,disconnect the hose, reach underneath and compress the plunger.

While it is compressed plug the hole with your finger. The plunger should not drop down. If it does,the EGR is faulty.)

My second guess would be the Mass Air Flow Sensor. In this case,you should take take it to a shop. The procedure for testing it would be too much to describe here.

------

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

there is no coil under the distributor for a V6. It is external. It could of course still be the igniter or coil. But before even attempting to replace those, I would buy a new set of wires and plugs first because it is a lot cheaper.

As already mentioned, it may potentially be a bad EGR valve or MAF sensor. Some other things:

  1. Check the air inlet duct from the air filter to the throttle body for any cracks. These things get brittle after 130K and can leak, affecting the computer because more air is being taken in than the MAF sensor indicates.

  1. Check for any vaccum leaks in the hoses for the EGR system and its modulator as well the the EVAP system which purges fuel vapor from the charcoal canister. The EVAP system has a bimetallic thermovacuum switch mounted on the cooling manifold up near the front of the throttle body which is suppose to open when engine temperature is warm. Check those sensors up there for any damage or split hoses. As well, this could also be a clogged charcoal canister or maybe a bad gas cap.

  2. If you have had a tuneup in the last few months where they may have replaced the spark plugs, make sure they used the correct recommended platinum plugs and not Bosch ones which are known to cause this sort of thing.

  1. Some other possibilities:

a) bad oxygen sensor b) dirty intake and/or throttle body, IACV. c) bad ECTS sensor. d) bad TPS (throttle position sensor)

You can try to clean the throttle body/IACV/and intake by getting some Amsoil Power Foam spray cleaner and spray it into the intake duct while maintaining engine RPM thru the PCV valve hose (ie. disconnect it temporarily from air duct).

good luck,

dave mc

Reply to
davemac

Thank you all for the suggestions.

I have not really done the EGR checking yet, will do so this weekend.

Just wanted to add a point.

The car stall most when in gear, as soon as the RPM drops I shift to Neutral and that prevents the stall most of the time, when in reverse it is more common.

Another thing, it failed the emissions test, Could it still be EGV valve??

Thanks

davemac wrote:

Reply to
cifp48

Yes,..in fact EGR plays a substantial part in emission control.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James