1996-1998 federal emmissions warranty enhancement notice

I got this Warranty Enhancement Notice in the mail today from Toyota. I have a 1997 Camry LE 4 with 90,000 miles. What is this all about and can anyone shed more light on it? This is part of the letter I received.

This enhanced coverage of the Evaporative Control System is extended to the components specified below for a period of 14 years or 150,000 miles from the vehicle's in-service date, whichever occurs first. Please note that, depending on the design of the evaporative control system in each model, one or more of the specified components may not apply to your vehicle.

Evaporative storage canister Evaporative system pressure sensor Fuel cap Fuel tank Fuel tank filler neck Purge valve Tank vapor vent line Three-way valve Any other part or component, excluding any maintenance parts, between the fuel tank and the intake manifold (but not including the intake manifold) designed to contain or conduct fuel vapor from the fuel system.

Reply to
badgolferman

Lance

Thank you. You are very clever.

Perhaps a more direct questi> means that the parts below are covered for 14 years or 150,000 miles

Reply to
badgolferman

For what it is worth, my sister's 1996 Honda Civic also has this extraordinary emissions warranty.

Reply to
Philip®

Since we do not have emissions testing, how would I know if these items are bad now? What do the evaporative system, purge valve, and three-way valve do in this vehicle?

Philip® wrote:

Reply to
badgolferman

The car has its own self diagnostics which ... considering you have no state emissions testing ... should be performed at the dealer.

Reply to
Philip®

Most likely if one of them would be bad, chances are your check engine light would go on.

Reply to
Dave