1996 toyota Camry Oil Leak?

Hey folks, im new to this group stuff but thought i'd give it a shot since people seem to be helpful here with toyota probs. I believe that i have an oil leak. I've posted pictures below. i've noticed because everytime i get out of my car it pretty much smells from the scent of burnt whatever the hell is spilling around under my hood. Ive attached some pictures to best illustrate the problem. the first one is an up close of what the material looks like as it is gettin sprayed around

This next image is another snapshot from underneat my hood. i took a napkin to this area and i was able to find a spot in the engine where the black fluid still appeared fresh/wet. i want to say it is motor oil, but im unsure.

And this final image is what the gunk looks like on my finger.

Any help?

Reply to
chgarcia

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

=============================== I've found that you may as well replace all the oil seals to obtain completely leak free operation. Seems like over time with exposure to heat, the seals harden such that oil can seep past. The first picture is at the distributor, so you would be changing the distributor "O" ring. This is basically a simple procedure. The O ring is not expensive and there is only one bolt holding the distributor in place. The Factory Service Manual advises coating the new O ring with engine oil prior to replacing the distributor. You need a hook tool or some way to pry out the old seal. Then re set the ignition timing. It is probably a good idea to go ahead and change the valve cover gasket also. Hard to judge by the photograph but that may be leaking and this is fairly common, especially in the back as the engine tilts rearward. If you find oil in the spark plug tubes, then it is a good idea to change the large grommets on top of the valve cover. While you're there I would recommend changing the PCV valve grommet also because you can change it with the valve cover removed to eliminate the possibility of any fragments falling inside if it breaks apart when removed. There are additional oil seals elsewhere. Write back for more information. After I replaced all the oil seals. There is zero oil seepage and the engine stays completely clean. It may be a little easier to replace the distributor with the valve cover removed because that makes it simple to see how the distributor engages in the camshaft.

Reply to
Daniel

Reply to
chgarcia