1999 Camry - Radiator Fan Rattling Question

On a 1999 Camry (4cyl, made in Kentucky), the passenger side radiator fan is rattling a good bit; enough to overpower the what used to be the quiet interior of the vehicle as well as draw attention from those we drive past. In a quick inspection, I've noticed that the passenger side fan blade rotates very rough when turning by hand.

I figured it would be a simple replacement. For $75, I can buy the motor, fan, and shroud as a single unit from autopartscorner.com. But there's one little odd thing about the fans. While both fans are OEM Toyota parts, is there any particular reason the driver's side radiator fan has 5 blades and the the passenger side has 4 blades?

Reply to
O.B.

The 5 blade will move more air if the blades are the same. I believe only one comes on at certain times, id say the 5 blade comes on earlier cooling at low speed. Above a certain speed no fans are needed so slower speed cooling would be a reason for 5 blade.

Reply to
m Ransley

The driver side fan is the condensor cooling fan. It's primary purpose is to cool the condensor when the AC system is turned on. That assembly is lighter duty and thus the 4 blades. Aftermarkets, however, come with

5 blades as far as the pictures go on the parts websites. Motor itself is not that much cheaper, it's better to go with the entire fan assembly.

autopartscorner.com looks like a good deal, compare:

O.B. wrote:

Reply to
johngdole