1999 Camry Fuel door not opening

When I push the lever up to open the fuel door, the door does not open. So, this is what I have to do to open it. Push the lever up, and put a small object under the lever so that the lever is still up and then go out and open the fuel door. So, it seems that when the lever is pressed, it just does not kick the fuel door open.

Any ideas ?

Rajeev

Reply to
Rajeev Madan

My '99 Camry has a little plastic spring (that looks exactly like metal) that pops the fuel door open - but never as far as I would like. I tired bending it the smallest amount to increase the tension and found that it truly was plastic when it immediately broke. At that point it would not open except as you describe. I bought a replacement plastic spring from Toyota for about $4 and took two minutes to install it.

Reply to
Orv Larson

mine broke at 89k mile. i put layers of duct tape near the door edge so as to put pressure as the door is closed and it works like a charm. good luck.

Reply to
humblejohn