2007 Camry TPMS - Required?

Hi All:

I've got the new XLE and it has TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System). I'm thinking of buying winter tires with separate steel wheels. Tire-Rack sells packages but doesn't install the sensors. What happens if I run the tires without sensors? Would I always have a warning light on? Or does the warning light only come on if there are sensors and they are operational?

Thanks for any assistance. You guys are great!

- David

Reply to
David In NH

BigJim

I really hate the safety pundits forcing tire pressure monitoring on us! I carry tire pressure gauges in each vehicles and check pressure at least whenever I change the oil or go on a trip. Wait til a tire place changes a tire and destroys a sensor and you have to buy 4 new ones! My guess (pure guess) is the warning light will glare at you.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Just called the local Toyota dealer and he confirmed that the absence of the sensor(s) will cause the light to be lit all the time. I'll probably cover it over with a piece of electrical tape so that I don't get used to it being on. If I did get used to it and then put my non-snow tires back on (with the sensors on those wheels), I'd probably not notice if the light went on when it was supposed to.

Reply to
David In NH