TPMS 2003 Vibe vs. 2008 Vibe

I have a 2008 Vibe and want to get a set of used steel wheels on which to get snow tires fitted. The installer (Costco) says they are not allowed to install tires if the vehicle originally had TPMS and does not
have functioning TPMS.
I have just discovered that a local junk yard that lets people remove parts themselves has a 2003 Vibe. If I can get the wheels for a good price (with the TPMS sensors, assuming it has them), would they work with the 2008 TPMS? Same frequency, etc.?
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

03 won't have TPMS. TPMS didn't start on the Vibe until the 05 model year. Go to carpart.com punch in the information and it will show you salvage yards in your area that have the wheels you are looking for.
--
Steve W.

On 11/05/2016 01:16 AM, Steve W. wrote:

Used wheels specifically listed as for a Vibe cost more than new after-market wheels from Belle Tire.
What other vehicle is likely to have the right size wheels and compatible TPMS sensors?
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Might want to call Toyota and ask if the wheels from a Matrix / Corolla will work. Same vehicle, different name, but I don't know if the electronics are same.
On 11/05/2016 02:17 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:

I found the TPMSdirect.com Web site, which shows the same Part# as I found on a GM parts Web site (88974915), but none of the other makes and models (whether GM or Toyota) I've checked on the TPMSdirect.com Web site seems to use the same part.
I don't have much time to take advantage of Costco's $70 discount on the tires I want plus $60 discount on the installation charge, so maybe I'll settle for just the wheels from the pick-your-part Vibe, and let Costco charge me for a new set of TPMS sensors; that's what I had to do to get them to install snow tires on the steelies I put on the Chrysler 300M two winters ago -- the only trouble with them is that I have to go back to Costco every winter to have them reprogram the car's TPMS receiver to recognize the "foreign" sensors.
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Junk yard prices are often negotiable.
On 11/05/2016 05:31 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:

...depending on availability of the item in question. God help you if you need the only one within 75 miles!
--
Cheers, Bev
I didn't break it! It was doing that before I broke it... er...
On 11/05/2016 09:44 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

The local pick-your-part place has standard prices for wheels, dependent on size and material (steel or aluminum).
Perce

I suspect I have on the order of 100 wrecking yards to choose from, and they're all connected to one another -- call one, and if they don't have it they'll find it for you. Sometimes they'll even bring it from the distant yard to the one you called. They obviously agree among themselves on a price. They also take cores and accept returns. Very helpful. On the whole, I like wrecking-yard guys.
--
Cheers, Bev
"When your enemies are making mistakes, don't interrupt them."
The Real Bev wrote:

They all go by Hollanders suggested prices. For several summers during school I used to work at a junkyard and that is what we and other yards used. https://www.hollanderparts.com/ Junkyards around Houston do not show up on Hollanders or car-part.com. Don't know why. The nearest parts for my 06 Kia are hundreds of miles away.
On 11/06/2016 09:40 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:

Last time I bought something at a junkyard was... maybe 20 years ago. Damn. The independent GM guy who fixed my 88 Cad maybe 3 years ago had a real bitch finding one weird throttle part, and couldn't find any of the others.
Gone to the knackers now. Sorry, in a way, but mostly not.
--
Cheers, Bev
"I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we could to protect

Well, the pick-your-part 2003 Vibe (the only Vibe in the yard) turned out to have only three wheels -- and alloy, which would be much more expensive. I couldn't find any other wheels that seemed to be the correct size* either; I've never seen so many cars without any wheels at all.
* Costco says they are not allowed to fit tires on non-standard-size wheels. I had to work hard to persuade them to fit snow tires on the 16-in. steelies I got for the 300M; I ended up telling them to pretend it was a Concorde.
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Easy way around most of those restrictions. Take the rims/tires ONLY to the store, have the tires you want mounted, balanced. Look up the tire fitment you want before you go as well. Just be aware that you pretty much let them off the hook if you tell them you are installing the tire on a different vehicle than they put down.
--
Steve W.