Can you clean a MAP sensor ?

Got a problem with car lurching then continuing then hesitating at speed then clears etc etc. Replaced idle control valve and vacuum pipes so far next on list is MAP sensor also called air mass meter i believe. Is this cleanable or must it be renewed? No lights up on dash. Manual Fiat ulysse (peugeot engine) 2 ltr petrol

Reply to
Capt T

Usually yes.

Reply to
adder1969

Yes, sometimes, you havent got anything to loose though.

DO NOT direct any fluid or air under pressure into the MAP sensor- you'll break it. In this application its not designed to read positive pressure.

Instead aim your carb cleaner *across* the port, allowing some to go down the pipe inside. Swish it about abit and then shake out the fluid before it evapourates. Repeat several times.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Anyway I can visual inspect test it? Could I pour say meths or white spirit down the spout and swish around?

.
Reply to
Capt T

Err...are we talking about the MAP or the MAF sensor? The MAF sensor is usually a barrell type-shaped object that sits downstream of the throttle body, upstream of the air filter. The MAP sensor is usually mounted somewhere with a thin hose attached to it. The hose will make a hissing noise when disconnected and the engine running.

If it's the MAP sensor, follow Tim's advice. If it's the MAF sensor, I wouldn't clean it. It heats up and should burn any shitey small particles that get past the air filter. MAP = clean or replace, MAF = replace.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

hmmmm, common fix for a MAF is to spray carb cleaner directly onto the element!!

Well certainly in the Subaru corners anyhow.

Reply to
Tim Anderson