Rover 420 - Power Steering - Weird Problem?

Hi,

On the way home my Rover 420 (97) started to make a whining sound and I assumed it was engine related as it seemed to get louder on acceleration. When I pulled up on my drive it appears it relates to the power steering, movements left and right on the steering wheel generate quite a loud almost grating noise.

I flipped the bonnet and the power steering fluid reservoir seems to have 'bubbled up' and fluid is pushing past the cap and leaking out as well as there being a frothy appearance in the reservoir with remaining fluid.

Now that it has cooled the reservoir is half empty and the steering very heavy.

What on earth could be the problem, don't really want to just top it up incase something major is failing and the steering plays up - is failing PAS dangerous?

What sort of fluid do I need for my car?

Any ideas or help really appreciated.

Thanks Marcus

Reply to
Marcus

- Snip-

Oh dear - - - sounds like the pump has packed up. How much is one of those? Anyone?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Thanks for the diagnosis. Oh dear means to me its gonna be expensive!

Is it a relatively easy DIY job or strictly garage work?

Reply to
Marcus

snipped-for-privacy@hotspam.com

just top it up

up - is failing

is one of those?

A Hobourne Eaton p/s pump I baught some years ago, cost about £65 IIRC. So I'd guess yours might be less than £100, if it's a fairly basic type.

I don't know how 'getatable' the pump is on your particular car, but changing a p/s pump is normally an uncomplicated, and relatively easy job. Disconnect the hoses, taking care not to allow any dirt to get on the couplings or enter the hoses. Remove the old pump, fit the new one. Reconnect the hoses. Replace and tension the belt/s. Fill the reservoir to level mark with whatever grade of ATF is recommended, probably Dexron II. Jack both front wheels off the ground. Start the engine. Turn the steering several times from lock to lock, to bleed the air from the system. Check the reservoir, and top up if necessary. Lower it back on the ground. Job done. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Loads of second hand Rover pumps around in the scrapyards but because of its position it isn't the easiest to remove.

Reply to
AWM