Honda OE Power Steering Fluid Colour

I was just wondering if anyone knows what colour the Honda original power steering fluid colour would be/would have been on a 1992 Honda Accord EX, F22A?

I checked the power steering fluid tonight, it was low, but besides that, it was pink/red. What I'm scared of is that the previous "mechanic" decided to use tranny fluid instead of the proper Honda power steering fluid. Also curious as to what harm it might cause if he did.

The reservoir was almost empty and I dumped a full 355ml bottle of the correct fluid in.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

"Steve Mackie" wrote in news:xpF0f.104287$ snipped-for-privacy@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

Correct fluid is pretty much clear when new, and darkens to a brown as it ages.

If you find pinky-red in there, get rid of it real soon! Seals will leak if it's left in there long enough, and the pump will get damaged.

You can get most of it out this way:

1) Jack both front wheels off the ground. If you cannot get both off the ground at the same time, jack up each front wheel in turn and place a dozen sheets of newspaper under them. This will reduce friction so the wheels will turn easily. 2) Use turkey baster to suck reservoir dry 3) Disconnect return hose (highest on the reservoir) and place end in bottle. 4) Start engine 5) turn steering wheel lock-to lock a couple of times, *just* until fluid stops coming out of the return hose. 6) Turn engine off, reconnect return hose. 7) Fill reservoir 8) Start engine, spin wheel lock-to-lock, add fluid, repeat until no more *new* foam or bubbles appear. Two or three go-arounds should do it. 9) Drive car around for few minutes, check fluid, add as necessary. 10) Let car sit overnight. 11) Check fluid again and add final top-up.

Might be a good idea to repeat this one more time to make certain as much of the bad stuff is gone.

Reply to
TeGGeR®