'89 Camry V-6 Transmission (4 sp. wOD) Dipstick Confusion ? Thanks For Advice!

Hello,

I have an '89 Camry Wagon with the 2VZFE V-6 engine, and I can't seem to make heads or tails when trying to read the transmission dipstick level, as it varies greatly from HOT to COLD. I just emptied the pan and put 1 quart of high quality fluid, along with a 10 oz. bottle of LUBE GARD transmission treatment. When cold, the level was dead on one of the cold marks of the stick.

When hot however, hardly anything at all showed up on the dipstick. Hence, I added another 8oz. of fluid, and now the dipstick is about

3/8" to 1/2" above both cold marks when cold, yet still well below the given range when hot.

Thus, is it best to just fill it to match the correct "COLD" mark, as it seems very difficult to get an accurate "HOT" reading. Perhaps I should shift the car through the various gears, while at idle, and then put it into PARK, and quickly measure the reading? I think the car may have shifted a bit smoother from 1st to second gear, before adding this last 8 oz., though I'm not certain.

According to the owners manual, the pan for this transmission (4-speed Auto, w/OD) holds 2.6 quarts. Therefore, theoretically speaking, the system should still be underfilled (by approx. 1 qt.), though I'm not really sure whether it is or not?

The owner's manual also mentions that the transmission only needs to be driven for about 10 miles to get an accurate reading. If fully warmed up from a highway trip, a false reading may be given. The car seems to shift fine, but I'd hate to be low on fluid, and thus proper protection for the tranny. Likewise, if I go by the HOT mark, I would have to put another 8 oz.--or perhaps up to another quart--into the transmission, and I'm sure the COLD mark would be WAY ABOVE the proper marking of the dipstick. Too much fluid wouldn't be a good thing either.

In closing, I welcome any opinions or advice from fellow Camry owners and/or Toyota mechanics. This is driving me nuts, as I'm used to older Chevy's with either a Turbo Hydroamatic 350 or 400, and with either of these, it seems much more straight forward when determining correct trans fluid level.

Thanks for your replies!

Respectfully,

Glen E. Sarkis

Reply to
Glen Eric

What was the original question? ;-)

dipstick

dipstick.

about

below the

mark, as

Perhaps I

before

(4-speed

fully

with

determining

Reply to
Philip®

Hello Again,

My question is, is it safe and trustworthy to fill the transmission of an '89 Camry LE (4 sp. Automatic) by using the "Cold" marks?

I can't seem to get an accurate reading when the transmission is warm and the car is running.

Why is the vehicle showing a proper reading when cold, in relation to the "cold" marks on the dipstick, yet showing harldly any level at all on the dipstick when the transmission is warmed by a short drive?

Toyota owners must be able to share some type of experience, whether different, or having also encountered the same frustration I am dealing with regarding this maintainence matter.

Thanks for relies!

--Glen Sarkis--

Reply to
Glen Eric

I believe in changing the transmission fluid regularly, so with practice, have learned to get the level just right. First, according to my manual, the "cold" mark is only for reference when making the initial fill. The correct level is determined by using the "hot" marks. In other words, if the "hot" level is correct, you never need to look at the "cold" marking again - I never have, it's only to be used when you first add fluid to a cold engine/ transmission prior to starting the car, it is not a reliable indicator as to having the proper fluid level for driving. So you need to set the level "hot." Common advice is that the transmission level is usually over filled. This is because often the transmission is not allowed to warm fully prior to checking. You need to drive at least ten miles to get the transmission to "normal" operating temperature. If you drove more, that is OK. Once fully heated, the transmission should stabilize at operating temperature. The only caution is that the transmission should not be over heated. That is, prolonged stop and go city driving at high ambient temperatures where it doesn't get a chance to cool as in normal driving. Or extended driving at excessively high speed. You're looking for normal operating temperature. If you just drive the car for 10 -12 miles, you should be fine. If you're really not sure. Then fill to the mid point and check again the following day after the car has been driven further. If you haven't over filled, and are between the low and high marks on the hot scale, you're fine. When you return from your first 10 mile ride, leave the engine idling and shift slowly through the gears, then back to park. Now open the hood, get a clean rag, pull out the transmission dip stick and try to read the level. Usually, I can never read the level on the first try. The fluid seems to cling to the inside of the dip stick tube and coat the length of the dip stick so just wipe it off, insert it fully, pull it back out and try again. By now, with the engine idling on level ground after having driven 10 miles, it should be fully warm. Often, I hear the automatic fan on the radiator clicking on periodically. Usually I don't get an accurate reading on the second try either, but may get a clue. So clean the dip stick, re insert, and re check. Usually on the third try the reading is clear. Usually I have slightly under filled so I can bring the level up to the correct mark. It is easier to add fluid than remove it. So now add a small amount of fluid, leave the engine running, go back in the car and slowly shift through the gears back to park, and then repeat the process checking the level on the dip stick. On mine, there is a curved cut out at the top of the level when hot. I like to have the fluid right at the bottom of the top mark to allow slightly for more expansion, and at that point the level is safely over the minimum hot mark. There ya go. Perfect. No worries. Now that you've learned how, change it regularly to maximize transmission life.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Dan,

Thanks for your detailed reply!

I'll give it another shot, and check after a short drive of 10 miles, as you've suggested.

Regards,

Glen Sarkis

Reply to
Glen Eric